[governance] Managing the Internet in the Public Interest

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Feb 26 01:22:31 EST 2015

On Thursday 26 February 2015 08:44 AM, David Cake wrote:
> This certainly seems to be a positive decision, and I welcome it.
> However, regulation like a public utility, and in the public interest,
> are not quite the same thing.

Yes, they are not the same thing. Public utility regulation is a subset
of a larger universe of regulation in public interest. In fact all
regulation is in public interest, but all regulation is not as intrusive
to be called public utility regulation. For instance, even title 1
regulation by FCC is regulating the Internet in public interest, but
here as more or less a normal commercial activity. Putting the Internet
under title 2, which the FCC decision is expected to do, makes it more
like a public utility regulation, recognising the Internet's exceptional
social importance.

Do note that the cited NY article does say that is that the FCC is
"expected on Thursday to approve regulating Internet service like a
public utility".

Further, this is a fact, as Seth also says, that such descriptions as
'public interest regulation' for the Internet, or even the use of the
word 'public good' (another word the article uses for the Internet) ,
was largely a no-no in dominant global IG discourse, till just a few
months back, and a very larger number of people on this elist will
vehemently oppose any use of these terms in relation to the Internet.

This when civil society is supposed to be on the vanguard of a more
radical progressive discourse. Now, when the US government - that great
defender of free markets, globally - brings in regulation based on these
very progressive concepts , which such a large number of people in this
group had either vehemently opposed or silently been unenthusiastic
about, Michael has a right to point out what he see as a political
irony. His is simply a political statement, and if this forum is not for
making political statements and arguments, I do not know what it is.
Political history is an important part of contemporary politics, and if
it needs to be asserted, it must be.

BTW, in its points 2 and 3, the Delhi Declaration of the Just Net
Coalition respectively uses the terms 'public utility' and 'public good'
in relation to the Internet.

parminder