[governance] US gets frank on its vision for the Internet

Nick Ashton-Hart nashton at consensus.pro
Mon Feb 16 02:21:46 EST 2015

I believe that isn't the real question at all, Parminder - it is this:

Does civil society want to be a part of the decisions about the Internet which will continue to be made in the institutions that have the mandate for it or does it want to insist on redrawing the map of global governance?

If the latter, good luck to you - you won't succeed and frankly, the Internet needs help from knowledgeable people right now, not at some convenient later time when the map of global governance has been redrawn.

If you want to make a difference, you need to go where the decisions are being taken and influence them. You want to ensure trade policy takes into account social issues? Help trade policymakers understand them.

Telling them to stop their work and go somewhere else first isn't going to persuade them of anything.

IMO