[governance] Towards an Internet Social Forum

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Wed Feb 4 06:31:12 EST 2015

On 04-Feb-15 10:27, parminder wrote:

>>  So some of us try to work in the relevant multistakeholder spaces
>> and make them better by inter alia attenuating the levels of
>> ‘capture’ by powerful interests.  We win some and more often we lose
>> some, just like in intergovernmental bodies.
>
> As discussed above, we need to work across a range of different
> combinations of MS and gov based decision making structures, and not
> speak of one against the other....

As someone who is as deeply immersed in the multistakeholder world as
possible and who also participates in my government's delegations as a
civil society adviser (just attended the ITU IPP CWG meeting in Geneva),
I agree.

In National debates where sovereignty is difficult to dispute, this
participation is essential and is recognized by participation by many of
the most committed members of civil society and the technical community.

In International debates where states have a special set of roles and
responsibilities that do not, however, extend to soveriegnity over the
Internet we need more civil society representation in our various
government delegations.  I was disappointed at the recent ITU CWG
meetings at how few of the delegations included civil society or
interent technical community participants.  This is one venue where the
accepted form of participation is state delegations only.  In these
cases I believe we need to be there as part of our national delegations
to the extent possible and allowed.  While I would prefer that the ITU
Council and other IGO only organizations open their doors to direct
participation by our civil society associations, in the meantime, we
need to advise from inside state delegations as best we can.

avri