[governance] Towards an Internet Social Forum

William Drake wjdrake at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 05:13:22 EST 2015

Hi Parminder

Just to clarify,

> On Feb 4, 2015, at 10:27 AM, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:
>
> Bill, you mention a range of issues, which are of a very different nature on the technical to social-political spectrum, and will therefore require different appropriate decision making mechanisms. I dont think it is good to mix them to make a point in favour of one kind of governance structure over another.
>
> I for instance am happy with the existing CIR governance system if it is put in an appropriate relationship with a rules based and arms- length political oversight system, which is globally democratic, in being representative -political.  On the other hand, I cannot see how issues of e-commerce can be decided by any system other than which is directly political -democratic- representative . The requirements of decision- making about global e-commerce are very different from those of say numbers allocation.

For e-commerce there are a mix of governance mechanisms at the various non-national levels, i.e. regional, transnational, pluriliateral, multilateral.  Some are strictly intergovernmental like the WTO, UNCITRAL or UNIDROIT; some are intergovernmental with some bounded forms of stakeholder participation like OECD and the EC; some are multistakeholder like OASIS; some are purely industry like GS1/EPCglobal, EDIFICE, etc etc.  It’s a mix, depending on the the issues/functions involved and how broadly/narrowly you want to construe "e-commerce.”  My point was that a lot of the detailed operational stuff on standards, authentication, and contracting etc., especially for B2B, is nongovernmental, and a priori it’s not obvious exactly where that could or should change.

Best

Bill