[governance] Text of Parminder's input

Mawaki Chango kichango at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 05:59:37 EST 2015

So is this debate in fact about the following (IOW are we being asked to
choose between two sides in the following antagonisms, sometimes meaning to
choose the least among two evils)?

The Powerful (private business) vs Government (presumably democratic), or
verbatim: "the powerful" vs "democratic mechanism's representatives"?
Or even more abstractly:
Power vs Democracy, irrespective of whether that power is wielded by
private entities or governments, democracy being the side wherr the people
finds itself?

Unfairness (to the economically least powerful) vs Centralization? Or
Unfairness vs Capture enabled by centralization through government?

Democracy vs Distributed system (governance)?
Democratic governance vs Self-governance, "self" mostly referring to those
with material stake or the resources to participate?

This seems a bit confusion (despite all the rationality) but one thing
becomes increasingly clear. The reluctance from some to apply the category
of democracy to Internet governance stems from the limitations (and risks?
dangers?) of democracy in their eyes. Is there a thoughtful - and as
comprehensive as possible - articulation of those limitations, risks and/or
dangers to be found somewhere? Do we think the two sets of concerns are
irreconcilable?

Mawaki