[governance] WSIS+10 speakers

Baudouin Schombe baudouin.schombe at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 04:06:55 EST 2015

To join Anita in its justifications, the selection committee was in
permanent contact with Aqeelah and yet between us, we had constant exchanges to
analyze and assess each application in terms of quality, taking into account
geographical balance men and women.

The only thing that is noticed, it is the time factor for some people chosen
for the formalities of obtaining travel documents and visas; This is the
case of the candidate of the DRC.
For Anriette, I have not seen a confirmation about its agreement.

There are points that we have to improve for next time. We can use the
messaging, phones etc .. All that is possible to attach a remote person.

Thank you for all the comments.

> Dear Carlos
>
> Greetings!
>
> Indeed if we did take a position that selection of speakers should be
> organisational and not individual, it would not matter who speaks from any
> organisation. The selection committee decided to shortlist individuals, and
> process wise, this is something to consider for the future in terms of
> nominations. (the SDGs process officially recognised only groups and civil
> society organised itself around these)
>
> Secondly, it was Matthew who replaced Anriette. So, there is a randomness
> there about the process and again, for me, it is about the way we had, as
> the selection committee, spent time in achieving a balance among
> individuals.
>
> Finally, about whose fault it is - I believe that CS protocol should be
> that if I am selected, and then invited, and cant go, I should inform the
> CSCG as I would inform DESA/ OPGA. This is about internal accountability in
> civil society. Indeed, we do need to as a group persist with our criteria
> and impress upon OPGA that the selections and back ups (and we did submit
> backups) have a particular logic that we believe are about
> representativity. I do think that it may be our failure if we were unable
> to prevail upon the UN. But we all know that much of our power as civil
> society is only a moral force... I dont think therefore that it was 'our'
> fault.
>
> Best wishes and hope you have a nice end of year and great new year!
>
> anita
>

> On Wednesday 16 December 2015 10:31 PM, Carlos Afonso wrote:
>
> Dear Ian,
>
> I suggest we do not do that. First of all, Deborah is a natural
> replacement for Anriette - I do not think she will do a speech diverging
> in any way from what Anriette would do.
>
> Second, we do not have issues with the choice of Mathew as you state
> correctly, except for the fact that he is not from Tatiana's region. But
> there is another civil society rep from the South listed, which is
> Parminder (whatever the divergences of approach).
>
> Third, I am sure that to do the replacement through our committee there
> simply would not be enough time.
>
> Finally, if we are failing to present the reps we chose, this is not the
> fault of OPGA, it is our fault.
>
> IMHO
>
> fraternal regards
>
> --c.a.
>
> On 16-12-15 04:04, Ian Peter wrote:
>
> We have just been informed that OPGA has made two changes to the civil society speakers nominated for WSIS+10. Tatiana Kapinga, who was unable to secure a US visa, and Anriette Esterhuysen, who was unable to stay to address the meeting, were replaced by Deborah Brown of APC and Matthew Shears of Center for Democracy and Technology.

> [...]

*SCHOMBE BAUDOUIN*

*COORDINATION NATIONALE CAFEC*

*ICANN/AFRALO Member*
*ISOC Member*
Téléphone mobile:+243998983491/+243813684512
email                  : b.schombe at gmail.com
skype                 : b.schombe
blog                    : http://akimambo.unblog.fr