[governance] The decentralization of IP addresses

JFC Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Wed Dec 9 15:32:58 EST 2015

At 18:59 29/11/2015, Jean-Christophe Nothias wrote:
>Third, challenging the Internet architecture seems to be a red line,
>something that no multistakeholder/status quo champion could ever
>discuss, debate, think of. They should think twice. And not because
>of the ITU,  but

>1. because of the US obstructive stance,
>2. and because technology calls for innovation and disruption

JC,

Let me be clear about this in order to not create unnecessary
confusion or dispute. The red line is about the Internet medium layer
architecture vs its Catenet basis. This is not a question of
technical dogma but rather of technical focus, options, experience,
capacity and societal/political stability.

A. I will explain why it is a UNIX/NETIX perspectives opposition
B. I will shortly explain the root of the confusion
C. I will explain the current open trend
D. I will eventually consider Willi's position

A. the UNIX/NETIX opposition

The internet (cf. IEN 48
<https://www.rfc-editor.org/ien/ien48.txt>https://www.rfc-editor.org/ien/ien48.txt)
has architected the Internet project as the ARPANET catenet, along
the Louis Pouzin terminology understood by ARPA as "roughly [meaning]
"the collection of packet networks which are connected together.""
Vint explains that it is not enough for a practical implementation
and sets the objectives and constraints of an ARPANET catenet
internetting. He then documents his own objectives. There are two
targets and one key contribution.

1. Vint Cerf's first objective (specific to the internet use of the catenet):

to permit the internal technology of a [TCP/IP] data network to be
optimized for local operation and to be readily interconnected into
an organized catenet. This means that everyone must use an
inter-network optimized technology. And the IP local addressing
scheme must extend to the global network. This differs from the two
other parallel contributions:

1.1. by the ITU: to build a catenet through an external technology
(X.75) optimized to support local technology interconnections, with a
local technology (X.25) optimized to use that international
technology and using its global purpose X.121 addressing scheme.

1.2. by Tymnet (which was the only internationally used technology
from 1977 to 1987) of which architecture used a meta-technology and
addressing scheme approach to interconnect every local and
international protocol and addressing scheme, and eventually services
(my responsibility).

2. Vint Cerf's fundamental contribution

This is Vint's main contribution because it is universal. He states:
"The term "local" is used in a loose sense, here, since it means
"peculiar to the particular network" rather than "a network of
limited geographic extent." A satellite-based network such as the
ARPA packet satellite network, therefore, has "local" characteristics
(e.g. broadcast operation) even though it spans many thousands of
square miles geographically speaking." This, together with Louis
Pouzin's catenetting actually defined glocality as a local virtual
network global reach. I.e. what I call a VGN (virtual glocal
network). This is something difficult for IETF people to consider
because they are only referred to twice in RFCs as being outside of
the "end to end".

2.1. In RFC 1958 (internet architecture): "The network's job is to
transmit datagrams as efficiently and flexibly as possible.
Everything else should be done at the fringes."

2.2. In RFC 5895 (mapping characters in IDNA2008): "It should be
noted that this document does not specify the behavior of a protocol
that appears "on the wire". It describes an operation that is to be
applied to user input in order to prepare that user input for use in
an "on the network" protocol. As unusual as this may be for a
document concerning Internet protocols, it is necessary to describe
this operation for implementors ... This because local typing, etc.
is to be supported by local subsidiarity in order "to reduce the
surprise for users and is likely to be slightly (or sometimes
radically) different depending on the locale of the user".

This means that mapping/unmapping is to happen outside "of the wire"
(end to end), at the fringe. IDNA2008 may call for fringe to fringe
operations. Those are "OSI presentation layer six" operations.
However, there is no "presentation layer six" in the internet layer
stake. Hence, the possibility of presentation layer six based
"network application services". I called them "Extended Services" in
1984, when I created the Tymnet/Extended Services department. They
came above the TCP like internet "value added" services, above the IP
like catenet "basic services". Problem: one of the T/ES services was
to transparently map 17 million IP addresses (RFC 923) to X.121
addresses in order to deploy its global applications as network open
services rather than edge proprietary businesses.

This extended addressing service not only allowed global competition
with the US, but it also put the Internet in bad shape because the
presentation layer six concerns security, languages, and intelligent
exchanges (through formats). The issue was architectonical: was EDP
to be computer (US UNIX industry) or network (Tymnet/PTT NETIX) centered?

In addition, it was a national security issue: UNIX internet systems
had no protection against non-US protected accesses established
through T/ES. It was also a strategic political/industrial issue
within the deregulation context where AT&T was dismantled, killing
its own X.25 technology development. Tymnet then started proposing
X.75/TCP/IP/Tymnet technology to the seven FCC regulated "Baby Bells"
(Regional Bell Operating Companies) the same as they had already
leased and operated the five FCC regulated IRCs (international
records carriers) and all the other foreign Operators and PTTs
(except BT) throughout the world.

As a result, the Tymnet 100% parent company was purchased by
McDonnell Douglas, the military-industrial leader of the time. They
closed my T/ES by mid-1986 and sent their own people to the first
IETF meeting. The digisphere had to be NSA-compatible.

3. Vint Cerf's second objective

Vint Cerf's second motivation was "to allow new networking technology
to be introduced into the existing catenet while remaining
functionally compatible with existing systems. This allows for the
phased introduction of new, and obsolescence of old, networks without
requiring a global simultaneous change."

In blunt and clear words, it was to seamlessly expand new TCP/IP
features in order to compete and overcome the Tymnet and ITU's
X.75/25 capabilities.

In other words, to do worse than me! They fired me and froze Vint's
ambitions: this was the "statUS-quo" strategy.

However, Vint Cerf persisted, created ISOC, chaired ICANN, and joined
Google. His TCP/IP technology was more adequate to handle open source
than Tymnet and more versatile that the ITU approach. It called for
25 years but he eventually reached the verges of his second
objective, powerfully threatening the status quo. While the WCIT was
to show that the various foreign NSAs objected to the US NSA's global
surveillance.

As a result, the State Department supported the ISOC/GSN cooperation,
the OpenStand statement, the minority vote in Dubai, the Snowdenia,
the NTIA statement, the Lynn St Amour/Don Tapscott report, etc. that
eventually led to the ICANN reshuffling, and to Jari Arko's
<https://www.ietf.org/blog/2015/01/taking-a-step-towards-iana-transition/>2015/01/08
blog post stating :

"Our work is not yet complete. There are a number of steps still in
front of us. They include the following:
    * Both the numbers and names communities need to complete their
proposals. We at the IETF will continue to engage with them with
their work, just as they assisted us with ours.
    * Later, the IANA Transition Coordination Group
(<http://ianacg.org>ICG) will assemble a complete proposal and gather
community feedback on the result. When ready, they will submit the
final proposal to the NTIA.
    * The NTIA must then consider and approve the proposal.
    * Finally, it must be implemented. "
An IETF/WG on the IANA Transition had supported this IETF allegiance
to the NTIA, hence its decision to become the technical body of the
"GAFAMUSCC" RFC 6852 "global community" embracing "a modern paradigm
for standards where the economics of global markets, fueled by
technological advancements, drive global deployment of standards
regardless of their formal status. In this paradigm standards support
interoperability, foster global competition, are developed through an
open participatory process, and are voluntarily adopted globally.
These voluntary standards serve as building blocks for products and
services targeted at meeting the needs of the market and consumer,
thereby driving innovation. Innovation in turn contributes to the
creation of new markets and the growth and expansion of existing markets."

I appealed this with the IESG and IAB in order to make sure that this
was the true consensual decision of the IETF.
<http://iuwg.net/index.php/History#Evolution>http://iuwg.net/index.php/History#Evolution.
With the consequence documented there: the decision to start an
XLIBRE (<http://xlibre.net/>http://xlibre.net) RFC 6852 global
community for those wishing to research and test aside from the
US/Google technically correct use of the world digital ecosystem.
Thinking of themselves as their own VGN masters or Intelligent,
Internet Users (IUsers), rather than as ICANN (IN) DNS Class consumers.

B. The root of the confusion

The root of the confusion is that, as I indicated it, the ARPA,
Tymnet and PTT models covered both the lower and upper layers.
Therefore, people used PSS (packet switch PTT services) and the
Internet as a global digital solution without differentiating the layers.

This was increased by the habit to confuse the internet and the web.

Today, most of the World Digital Ecosystem Governance considerations
are internet centric. With laws around the world not making a
difference between "Internet", "the Internet", "the internet" and
"internet" for what is actually the Catenet Model for the
ARPANET-internetworking.

In addition, there is an addressing system confusion between
centralized (Copernican, geocentric), decentralized (Newtonian,
heliocentric) for what is distributed (Einsteinian, cosmological).

C. The current open trend

There certainly is a US effort to build on the 1986/2012 momentum to
keep industrial, commercial, and political control of the WDE (world
digital ecosystem). However, experience and technology show that this
is a BUG. This bug is to want to "Be Unilaterally Global". This was a
1986 misunderstanding due to the 1977 push to the international
catenet given by the FCC (VAN license to Tymnet and Telenet and
naming to Tymnet). However, this was only a US "go" that matched the
European "OKs" simultaneously gathered by Robert Tréhin (head of the
Tymnet European Operations, TEO) in building the public catenet. In
essence, an international network is multilateral. Communications'
multilaterality is managed by the ITU.

When we interconnected the Internet catenet to the public global
catenet, the US had to protect it from the non-UNIX systems. This led
to the US strategy of replacing the ITU by the NTIA.

Firewalls have been deployed. IAB has eventually engaged in working
on a secure protocol stack. It is time now for the BUG to be fixed.

Actually this is urgent. Before the IoT deploys significantly
because, by nature, it has to be BUG proof. No one anywhere in the
world wants their fridge to be under US NSA and Google surveillance.

However, the way it is made must not hurt the network development and
stability. So Vint Cerf's second objective can only be deployed by
subsidiarity. To develop and deploy additional compatible services
that will eventually be able to replace the existing architecture.

The XLIBRE trend seems to be to:

1. capitalize on IP for the catenet for the basic services.
2. consider alternatives to the internet "TCP" added value. This has
started with XMPP, named content networking, SDN, etc.
3. develop and deploy "intersem" extended services experiments for a
multi-vendor LIBRE (LIBRE even of the Libre) smart interoperability.

The interest of this is that it respects the experience acquired
since the late 1960s. This is what I call "reconsiderative"
innovation, which is neither "incrementative" nor disruptive. If I
would start it all again, how would I do it, now that I can use all
that I have learned and others have developed since then?

D. Willi's position

More often than notWilli's position does not make IETF technical sense.

There are two ways to react:

- In bashing Willi for his lack of technical understanding.
- In protesting against the IETF for not publishing standards that:
--- Either permit developers to meet Willi's technical needs
--- Or documenting their RFCs within a graded framework the first
layer of which is understandable by Internet Users (IUsers) without
needing to be smart Intelligent Users (IUsers).

You will note that my language uses the same term ("IUser") in both
cases, and in many other cases such as is the case for
(http://xlibre.net/index.php/IUse) individual, informed, independent,
innovative, industrious, inventive, insatiable, imaginative,
impartial, impecunious, inevitable, inflexible, insisting,
insupportable, inexhaustible, ingenious, interactive,
interdisciplinary, interested, interrogator, interventionist,
irreducible, irritating, etc. lead user.

For a merchant, the customer is the problem, for a technician it is
the user. And the customer and the user are king. I am not sure I
understand what Willi may ask, but I am sure I am to consider it
carefully because IETF and technically correct people are sustainable
and "incrementative", Willi asks us to be disruptive and what I call
reconsiderative. By the way, this is what the IAB reconsideration of
the protocol stack is exactly about.

The real need is for all of the Willis of the world, which Willi
represents, feel that their dataspheres are secure, at ease with
their networking experience, and the master of their own glocal digitality.

jfc