[governance] The NTIA announcement (re: IANA, DNS root)

Pranesh Prakash pranesh at cis-india.org
Fri Aug 28 12:19:38 EDT 2015

Dear all,
Please make sure you read this post by Milton (excellent, as always).

While I highly recommend reading the entire post, for the TL;DR crowd:

[snip]
> The most interesting part of the announcement, however, was not the extension itself but the way the NTIA has finally started to come to grips with the role of Verisign and changes in the root zone management process. Along with the extension announcement, NTIA published a proposal “Root Zone Administrator Proposal Related to the IANA Functions Stewardship Transition.” As we noted in a blog post back in March 2014, it is really the Verisign Cooperative Agreement, not the IANA functions contract, that gives the US government authority over all root zone file changes. It is Verisign, not ICANN, that has operational control of the root zone, so if the Cooperative Agreement with Verisign doesn’t go away, neither does U.S. control of the DNS root.
[/snip]

[snip]
> To conclude, the NTIA-ICANN-Verisign triumvirate seems inconsistent with the overall ethos of open, bottom up development of a transition plan. There are reasons why this is a sticky issue, of course. Still, the U.S. government and ICANN have to be very careful about how they handle this. If the “global multi-stakeholder community” invoked by the original transition announcement goes through an arduous process to replace the IANA functions contract only to learn that Verisign and NTIA still have a compact that gives the U.S. control of root zone changes, their credibility – and the credibility of the entire process model used to develop the transition – will be shot, and the ‘transition’ will have done more damage than good to globalizing Internet governance.
[/snip]

Regards,
Pranesh

Mueller, Milton L <milton.mueller at pubpolicy.gatech.edu> [2015-08-20
20:39:28 +0000]:

--
Pranesh Prakash
Policy Director, Centre for Internet and Society
sip:pranesh at ostel.co | xmpp:pranesh at cis-india.org
https://twitter.com/pranesh_prakash