[governance] Interesting reading "Here’s the solution to the Uber and Airbnb problems — and no one will like it"

Michael Gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Sat Aug 8 15:35:21 EDT 2015

A belated thanks for this McTim and it is good to see the challenges put in this way (i.e. avoiding for example the “regulation/de-regulation” dogmatisms…

And personally I think the approach suggested is one well worth exploring in some depth.  One issue that I see with the approach is the evident difficulties which both the political (democratic) and administrative processes are having in coming to terms with the truly profound change in their underlying contexts (and thus underlying organizing principles) which the ICT revolution has introduced… As a starter in a recent email to another list I mentioned the following changes

Democratic norms and practices and particularly practices were set up and reflect the period during which they were developed and are very much showing their age...

To name but a few changes which have yet to be fully accounted for in democratic practice

1. restricted and hierarchically structured access to information vs. unlimited horizontal/peer to peer access to information

2. restricted, costly and slow access to communications vs. unlimited and essentially free access to communications

3. restricted and costly access to one to many (and many to one_ communications vs. unlimited and essentially free access to one to many (and many to one) communications

4. restricted and costly access to institutional and other (communal) memory/information storage and retrieval vs. unlimited and essentially free and unlimited access to communal memory

And I'm sure others can think of more to add to this list.

What we understand as the conventional practices/modes of operation of democracy are I believe anchored in pre-modern conditions as per the above and there is an urgent need to rethink/redo those practices based on our changed information and communications resources and opportunities.

The case quoted of Uber is just one clever response to current gaps in democratic practice which urgently need to be filled--Uber using their control over a "many to one" "one to many" communications process to game a broader terrain of democratic communications that hadn't really caught up.  (Does de Blasio have any way of doing a parallel set of communications (either technically or organizationally) to counter the Uber blasts apart from blasting to the world and having the world blast back via Twitter?