[governance] Debunking eight myths about multi-stakeholderism

Jeremy Malcolm jmalcolm at eff.org
Thu Apr 30 18:06:46 EDT 2015

On Apr 29, 2015, at 10:23 AM, Barry Shein <bzs at world.std.com> wrote:

> Ok, let's try this then:
>
> Is EFF a stakeholder?
>
> I don't mean in some hand-wavey feel-good "EVERYBODY is a
> STAKEHOLDER!" way.
>
> I mean are they enfranchisable?
>
> Say the ICANN proposal for the IANA transition is in its final form
> and looking for a formal vote of confidence.
>
> A yes vote would make it happen, a no vote would likely send it back
> for several months of re-write. This is not just a feel-good poll.
>
> The stakeholders are assembled and ready to be counted.
>
> Is EFF one of them?

If EFF chooses to participate at ICANN (which it generally doesn't, though I realize this is a hypothetical), then it is going to be through the stakeholder structures that have been developed for doing that, such as the NPOC within the NCSG of the GNSO.[0]  I make no claims here about how legitimate or effective those particular structures are.

[0] Not-for-Profit Operational Concerns Constituency within the Non-Commercial Stakeholder Group of the Generic Names Supporting Organization

--
Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Global Policy Analyst
jmalcolm at eff.org

Tel: 415.436.9333 ext 161

Public key: https://www.eff.org/files/2014/10/09/key_jmalcolm.txt

PGP fingerprint: FF13 C2E9 F9C3 DF54 7C4F EAC1 F675 AAE2 D2AB 2220
OTR fingerprint: 26EE FD85 3740 8228 9460 49A8 536F BCD2 536F A5BD

Learn how to encrypt your email with the Email Self Defense guide:
https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/en