[governance] [bestbits] Remarks of Lawrence E. Strickling Assistant Secretary for Communications and Information Internet2 Global Summit

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Apr 30 10:37:05 EDT 2015

A lot of stuff about 'multistakeholder model of IG' is based on a
deliberate obfuscation about whether one is talking about a subsidiary
set of governance functions that relate to technical management of the
Internet  or about making policy about the Internet. It is this
obfuscation that  for instance allows the US to run with the hares at
the same time as it hunts with the hounds. This obfuscation is quite
evident in this statement by Strickling as well.

The early part of the statement says

"New challenges to the Internet emerge every day, whether they are
related to cybersecurity, privacy, or the free flow of information
across borders.  As we confront these challenges, we continue to debate
a key question that has dominated international discussions over the
last decade or so, specifically who should govern the Internet?  Who
should make the decisions that determine what the Internet of tomorrow
will look like?"

Evidently, since some highest level public policy issues are mentioned
here, and so one would take that is the level of IG that the statement
is addressing.

The statement goes on to recommend to "make these decisions through what
is known as the multistakeholder model of Internet governance".

Participation and consensus decision making are given as the two key
elements of the multistakeholder (MS) model of IG. Right! Now, if this
is about actual public policy matters, one does note that the recent net
neutrality decision was not made by consensus even within the FCC, to
say nothing about the views of the telco sector and the Republicans.
One would therefore really like to know what US means by 'making all IG
decisions by consensus'. But of course they are not going to tell us,
since it is all a spiel for the gullible and nothing more!

After making grand announcements about their support for the MS model
overall in the IG area, the moment they have to talk about details one
notices that it is all about technical management - they speak of IETF,
ICANN and so on. Why do they not then clearly tell us that MS model is
for the technical management area, while public policy issues like net
neutrality this will be done in the traditional democratic ways, as was
done for the recent net neutrality decision in the US. This is what we
really see them doing.

One sentence in the speech especially is a major give away.

"The Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD)
adopted a set of principles for Internet policymaking in 2011 that
strongly endorse multistakeholder cooperation.  The OECD principles
state, “multistakeholder processes have been shown to provide the
flexibility and global scalability required to address Internet policy
challenges."

Let them describe how OECD adopted its Internet policy making
principles, which they claim strongly endorsed MS cooperation. Is the
method employed by the OECD for policy development what they would call
a MS model of policy development? If so, lets all adopt it. I am fine
with it. But that is no way any kind of an equal footing model - govs
make the draft, they take inputs from other stakeholders, sometimes they
informally share the final draft with other stakeholders to seek wide
acceptance, but whether there is acceptance by all or not, it is the
governments which decide and sign on the final policy document. Would
this be described as the MS model of policy devleopment? If indeed so, I
dont see where is any dis agreement among any groups here at all.

And if this is not a MS model of policy development, those here who
profess MS models of policy development should speak up and so say, and
also tell us what would they think would be right MS model of policy
development. There is no point in writing vague theoretical things about
MSism .... One needs to come out and tell whether a specific case is MS
or not, and if not, what would be the corresponding MS model. That would
be some intellectual and political honesty.

It is clear that the US government believes in developing public
policies (including Internet related) in the traditional democratic/
governmental way, both at the national level (ex., the net neutrality
decision) and the international level (ex., OECD's Internet policy
principles). Equal footing MS policy devleopment model is just a facade
or rather a make-believe to keep at bay any attempt to challenge their
unipolar dominance over the global Internet.  Unfortunately, the US has
been quite successful at this strategy.

Why do we then not simply call their bluff, declare the emperor naked,
rather than playing the mute complicit courtiers! I find it a terrible
insult to common people's intelligence and political standing that US
can keep making such statements, in the smug knowledge that they have a
huge cultivated global constituency whereby no one is going to ask them
the questions that are so simple and obvious to ask.

parminder