[governance] Chairs statement from GCCS

Jefsey jefsey at jefsey.com
Fri Apr 24 08:37:36 EDT 2015

At 01:04 23/04/2015, Bertrand de La Chapelle wrote:
>So two questions:
>1)Â Are non-binding incomplete documents useless in your view -
>wherever they come from -Â or do they contribute somewhat to the
>ongoing discussion? Faulty and insufficient efforts but at least efforts.
>2) I still fail to grasp what is the model you would like to see
>implemented. Are there examples of processes you would like to point
>as reference to emulate?Â
>
>I did not participate in the drafting of the GCCS a declaration but
>I know that some CSÂ actors have sincerely tried to contribute and
>influence. Nothing is ever perfect and pointing to missing parts as
>you and some of them do is a perfectly valid procedure, IMHO.
>
>Hope it moves the discussion.

We all know that the internet governance is a balance of powers where
the constraining main power (the capacities of technology) was, until
a few years ago, contained by the "statUS-quo", rough consensus built
upon the NTIA's "global Potemkin village".

The international use political and industrial trends (aging of
TCP/IP, evolution in the national NSAs and CyberDefence procurement
strategies, market reorganizations, etc.) called for a transition
plan. This transition plan was designed (RFC 6852, Dubai, Snowden,
NTIA announcement, NETmundial, etc.) and seems to proceed according
to plan. It should replace the NTIA protectorate on the internet
technology, by a US de facto colonial jurisdiction on the whole
digital ecosystem/catenet.

However, this might be a Truman Show, due to the "permissionless
innovation" creep. I will not theorize it here. But what we are
significantly and increasingly observing are indications that the
"precautionary principle" and "subsidiarity principle" make with it a
possible fundamental triad for a multitude's holocracy, which could
be more credible than the multistakeholderist oligarchic model
proposed by the US.

The current French debate on cybersurveillance is quite interesting
from an architectonical point of view. As everywhere there is a
literacy shortage on the concerned matters, but this debate has an
important difference from other similar debates elsewhere: the
precautionary principle is in the French Constitution. And the
consequence is that the US cybersocial/defense strategy that they are
considering copying might look outdated. As if it was partly mudded
in the 20th century's ways of thinking.

This may also result from the Libre's weight in here, when compared
with the importance of the military industrial power in the US.
Anyway, the option of a "citizens + state" (instead of a "state vs
citizens") option could become credible. In such a case, the
technology/source code could freely assume their Lessig's
"constitutional" role. (As you know, I plead for a "Digitality
Charter" extending the constitutional "Environment Charter". Such an
opening would make positions like the current US ones off-balanced
(you know better as to why France has abstained in Dec 2012?).
Onbiously it would call for at least a decade - asking for us to
survive TPP/TAFTA.

In such a case, what would really count is what I call ethitechnics,
the use of the technology to adapt society's ethics. Based upon the
idea that you do not change people, but you lead/help them to adapt
to their new tools and environment. This is why in a multitude's
society there is no ballot: ballots are replaced by individual
technological/societal autonomous choices. Are non-committing biased
governance declarations of no value? Probably, but the mental work of
their co-authors will shape their individual choices in the
management of their own local personal network. From there, the new
Pouzin's "network of networks" catenet will eventually emerge, which
will be able to adequately support the long delayed new technologies
and internet stack version (IMHO, not fully compatible with the
ICANN's paradigm and the NTIA's bet - cf. RFC 6852 consensual
normative governance mechanism).

It takes time. But, the entire world is "changing tack".

jfc