[governance] [bestbits] [discuss] Internet Governance in Latin America research project

Deirdre Williams williams.deirdre at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 10:30:35 EDT 2015

Perhaps its worth adding that, having established off list that C (the
Caribbean) was included, I have circulated the request here as well. And
that there are appropriate places to circulate it to. :-)
Deirdre

On 23 April 2015 at 10:07, Anriette Esterhuysen <anriette at apc.org> wrote:

> Dear all
>
> I want to strongly support Renata Avila's comments.
>
> While I am not based in LAC my organisation, Association for Progressive
> Communications has several members there and are part of a very active
> community. They include Derechos Digitales, Colnodo, Nupef, Nodo Tau,
> Radio Viva, Instituto Demos, EslaRed and Sula Batsu.
>
> Also going back in history, LAC civil society provided leadership in
> raising issues on media ownership and control, free and open source
> software and social justice and communications and human rights - during
> the WSIS and before and after.
>
> But of course these movements are never as inclusive as they should be,
> and people change (in governments and in civil society) so the process
> of creating and debate and awareness can never stop.
>
> Anriette
>

> On 23/04/2015 13:26, Renata Avila wrote:
> > ​Dear Renata,
> >
> > ​I am happy to share with you that actually the Latin American community
> is
> > one of the most robust and developed in different areas of digital
> rights,
> > key to actually take part and meaningfully participate in the new
> "Internet
> > Governance" field. Most of the organizations are young but some of them
> > have been around for over a decade.
> >
> > Derechos Digitales did a fantastic job in creating redlatam.org a
> directory
> > where you will find mapped most  of  the organizations in the field and
> > there you can find an interesting catalogue of the leadership. You could
> > also see the good work of many in the Latin American newsletter
> > http://www.digitalrightslac.net
> >
> > There are some disconnects but there are lots of different and sometimes
> > diverging people doing high quality job in the field.
> >
> > ​Best Regards,
> >
> > ​
> >
> > ​
> > On 22 Apr 2015 19:02, "Adebunmi AKINBO" <akinbo at nira.org.ng> wrote:
> >
> >> Dear Reneta,
> >> Should you have an question with Africa in perspective, you can ask me.
> >> You may also visit the NiGF <http://www.nigf.org.ng>Website for
> Nigeria.
> >>
> >> Regards.
> >> -Akinbo
> >> President, Young Internet Professionals.

“The fundamental cure for poverty is not money but knowledge" Sir William
Arthur Lewis, Nobel Prize Economics, 1979