[governance] Fwd: World Forum for Democracy on "Freedom vs control for a democratic response" (Strasbourg, 18-20 November 2015): www.world-forum-democracy.org

Lee W McKnight lmcknigh at syr.edu
Wed Apr 22 22:12:41 EDT 2015

Hi Deirdre,

First, agreed the more common jargon/term today is Internet of Things, which will be highlighted more in the next version for sure.

However it is the technical specifics of the 'wireless grid' approach which is in a way the unique value - add of all this, which is why all other standards and industry and policy groups are at least beginning to take this work semi-seriously. For example the Enterprise Cloud Leadership Council collection of (mainly) big bank CIO's acceted this for securing user identities and transactions in a Bring Your Own Device/workplace as a service environment. For that example, see: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/236107546_Workplace_as_Service_White_Paper_By_Enterprise_Cloud_Leadership_Council

Which matters here only that at least in principle I got those - guys - to accept the components of the approach taken.

Meaning, including the Legal, Economics, and Policy component.

But I agree that all matters much more to people actually trying to interconnect various wireless systems and cloud services, and Things, than Internet governance policy advocates, generally speaking.

Except - noting Nnenna's 'all of the Internet' line in her mantra - this captures that, in 1 image.

Still it may be better for IGCers to step back from the core Tech requirement document as the focus, and perhaps instead describe a Use Case focused on the Freedom v Control theme of the COE event.

That could be plugged into the Open Specifications template used for other use cases, for example for education and social radio, among other things. Although a new IGC-developed use case likely would not be done by mid-May, it could be by time of the event. An example of what I am referring to is:

https://www.academia.edu/4206577/Workplace_as_a_Service_WPaaS_Solves_BYOD_Challenges_Use_Case_Version_0.1_WiGiT_Open_Specifications_for_Wireless_Grids

Which is the open specifications formalization of the Workplace as a Service white paper I referenced above.

Anyway, I understand this whole discussion is geekier than usual for this list; but if IGC really wishes to be in front and setting the agenda for - future governance - of the Internet of Things; I humbly suggest that now is the time and the Open Specifications Model is the place/picture to work from and with.

Or - not; as folks so choose : )

Lee