[governance] More on the GCCS 2015

Nick Ashton-Hart nashton at consensus.pro
Wed Apr 22 03:29:59 EDT 2015

Dear Arzan,

I find some irony in the fact that you start out by calling out finger pointing and then immediately pointing fingers at more players ;)

I will top you - I think - on the depressing front, which is that the entire dialogue about privacy, surveillance, data protection, law enforcement, cybersecurity, human rights online is the language of "my corner is more important than your corner, you should change to let me do what I want."

I think the reality is that all of these are aspects of digital security. All of these have, at their heart, the objective of creating more safety and security for people - of course, we can disagree about whether some of them do, or whether they do it well.

The result of this is, I think, that we are then in the trap of "well, you give me a little of your privacy, and I'll give you a little more protection from criminals." This is as we know a false dichotomy but it is really harmful in public debate as it reinforces this terrible idea that there is only a limited amount of 'security' available and we have to parcel it out in little buckets to everyone who has a role in protecting people, a zero-sum.

We need a new debate that starts from the premise that digital security is not just any one of these things but all of them, and that the motivation at source of all aspects is the same. We could then have a reasonable conversation about how to leverage technology to actually product not a zero-sum but something that is more than the sum of its parts.

Of course, not all countries have the same motivations, not all stakeholders have the same motivations, but if we change the debate from zero-sum to win-win we at least have the chance to produce real reform and more safety. Isn't that what we all really want?

I look forward to thoughtful replies and constructive criticism. Other types of interventions I will leave without replying. I hope everyone understands.