[governance] Fwd: World Forum for Democracy on "Freedom vs control for a democratic response" (Strasbourg, 18-20 November 2015): www.world-forum-democracy.org

Lee W McKnight lmcknigh at syr.edu
Tue Apr 21 15:32:33 EDT 2015

Hi Deirdre,

This may be an opportune time for me to - reintroduce - the IGC to the Open Specifications Model.

Some may recall I have shared with the list and invited comments and contributions to earlier versions since 2012.

The reason I propose the Open Specifications Model offers a framework possibly worth discussing in Strasburg, is that it addresses both open - access, and control, of - everything, ever reachable across the Internet of Things.

Since the Internet of us humans is already substantially smaller than the machine to machine to application to - thing virtual/physical space I am suggesting we should be more concerned about human rights and control of the Internet of Things too.

 I further suggest that endorsement by IGC, and recognition by COE, would be a forward-looking way to address cyberphysical privacy and " respond to security threats in a way that preserves the basic principles of democracy such as freedom of expression, public deliberation, and the privacy of citizens" I acknowledge this may or may not be seen as relevant to IGC, and the COE event ie too geeky? - but I will advocate for it as an example of a privacy and security by open participatory/multistakeholder/democratic design approach.

Which can enable Nnenna's eloquent call for access to all of the Internet, all of the time, by everyone; even if the Open Spec itself is written mainly in tech-speak.

The Open Specifications Model v0.3 itself is shown on p.9 of the doc, which is available at:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/274754770_Open_Specifications_Model_v0.3_Wireless_Grids_Internet_of_Things_Technical_Requirements

 which includes mainly techncal information on how to openly connect - anything - physical, virtual, or mixed - with enhanced privacy and security, cloud to edge.

Particular relevance to the IGC list and possibly to the Strasbourg event is that I have - cleverly? ; ) - embedded the Charter on Internet Rights and Principles in the draft document, as well as the Open Standards model - and perhaps even more cleverly ; )  the critique of that standards document's democratic deficit by IGC's Michael Gurstein already in the draft v0.3 document. Other  relevant placeholder draft text developed in part by my own students, reference legal, economics, and policy safeguards as components to be - voluntarily - adopted in present and future Internet of Things implementations. Meaning, to the extent IGC desires, IGC can rewrite the core Economics, Legal, and Policy component of the open specifications model, for v0.4 and possible presentation in Strasburg.

How - unanimous? ; ) - IGC may be in backing this, of course remains to be seen.

Anyway, apologies for spamming the list with a techier and longer than usual message; more details on what I am - imagining? is in the PS.

If IGC does not care to pursue, no problem and never mind, but just remember I invited - everyone - to contribute to v0.4 of the Open Specifications Model.

thanks,

Lee McKnight

Syracuse University

PS: More background and thoughts:

Others in IGC, Best-Bits, the Dynamic Coalition on Internet Rights and Principles, and/or CSISAC can either agree or decline to put this forward as a possible contribution to this COE or other events.  (I do not need to attend the Strasburg event myself or be the speaker, as I am just providing some - intellectual/technical/policy architectural substance - which could be shared there. Or not.) Since we are a very long way from version 1.0, there is time for many many more to contribute, worldwide, in wikipedia-like fashion as the doc and use cases are drafted and redrafted, and new use cases published by - whomever.  I was anticicipating releasing a version 0.4 by spring/summer 2016; but if IGC folks buy into this proposal, and wish to edit/enhance the admittedly skimpy sections of direct relevance to the Strasburg event (note pp. 21-23 on the Economic Legal and Policy Component, and note the 10 Internet Rights and Principles at p. 23; link to NetMundial outcomes could/should be added; and anything else suitable as well. Please note I am happy to continue to act as editor; until such time some more regularized and transparent procedure can be developed for my continuance or resignation from that responsibility.

This doc itself (enhanced by - any of you all as are moved to write and edit text - could then possibly be a backgrounder/reference work accompanying a tidier summary document developed within IGC, is my intial proposal for the COE event; ie version 0.4 could be co-authored by as many IGC colleagues as wish to do so, along with myself and student/faculty colleagues. Already, faculty and students from US,  European, African, Caribbean, Latin American and Asian nations and universities have developed the first three drafts to the still admittedly incomplete point at which it now stands.

Which nonetheless provides a framework for connecting - anything to virtually anything, human, physical, or - neither.  Software defined networks/network function virtualization, and software definbed radios are some of the core technologies included, as well as cloud orchestration, containerization and tokenization with the wireless grids ad hoc network approach for dynmiac sharing of physiical and virtual resources which we have been evolving since 2002.

Credit and acknowledgement also of interactions with Open Grid Forum, IEEE, TM Forum, CABA, IETF, ISOC, ETSI, W3C, and Open Stack Forum, among other standards oprganizations for prototyping and architecture definition and refinement should be noted and hence the firms and individuals participating there; as should OECD for engaging as a partner in the effort since the exploratory launch of this effort with US National Science Foundation Partherships for Innovation support in 2009, and potentially also going forward.

Finally, the fact that the very first submission to a standards organization (on inter-system mobility management) was to ITU way back in 2003, may make some of my IGC friends - happier? : )  As faculty and students we did not have budget to keep up with ITU at that level, but can no doubt can re-sync with ITU if/when desired; and as appropriate. Most likely around 5G - open specifications; whether direct with ITU or via 5GPP.