[governance] GCCS Speech

Izumi AIZU iza at anr.org
Mon Apr 20 14:45:44 EDT 2015

Hi,

I think it's very healthy and constructive to review the speech delivered.
Thank you Deirdre to bring this onto the table, and thank you Nennena to
respond
so constructively.

I would like to put just one point.
It was done with other stakeholder speakers as the opening speech.
And compared with all others, our civil society speaker gave much more
powerful, moving and also logical messages in the very limited time and
special context.

Dutch Prime minister, expensive professional dancing performance, "Father
of the Internet" were all the background of our Civil Society delivery of
the opening statement.

izumi

> Dear Everyone,
>
> Responding to Nnenna's PS in the realisation that I have probably been
> guilty of the sin of jargon -
> I have spent most of my "working life" (I have a problem with this
> terminology but that's for later) teaching about literature and literary
> criticism. Criticism (together with critical/uncritical) does not have any
> negative connotation within that context. At its simplest it's the
> "because" - I like this poem because, I don't like this poem because.There
> may also be a "but". And the because and the but are the value added, the
> chance to expand in some small way on the original work. If we add comments
> to our approval/disapproval then we add value and move the collaboration a
> step further.
>

>> PS/ As for critical or uncritical praise.  It does not apply to me,
>> personally. As I never see speeches as mine. I only distill issues that are
>> common and I present them with a passion. So praise is not mine, but to all
>> who contributed. And I can tell you, there are many.
>>

> For the rest of Nnenna's message I think we should say thank you for
> providing a mouth, and such an eloquent and charismatic mouth, for so many
> of us. We may approve/disapprove of the conference itself; that's a
> separate issue.
>
> For me, I wonder whether the word "access" might not benefit in future
> from a second adjective - effective, usable - as well as the one it has at
> the moment - affordable?
>
> Looking forward to the becauses and buts
>
> Deirdre
>

> --
> “The fundamental cure for poverty is not money but knowledge" Sir William
> Arthur Lewis, Nobel Prize Economics, 1979

>      http://www.igcaucus.org/

                     >> Izumi Aizu <<
Japan
www.anr.org