[governance] GCCS Speech

Nnenna Nwakanma nnenna75 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 17:34:34 EDT 2015

Dear all, especially Dierdre

As always, when I get an invitation to speak at an instance that is
representative of any group, I will inform that group and seek "issues"
that I must not miss. I got input from many of us, across many lists and I
did my best to distill all of the points into 3-4 that can capture the
essence.

There is only so much that can be said in 5-7 minutes.  So I elected to
keep to the three major thoughts of access, freedom and mass surveillance.

I have learned that writing the key points helps someone keep focused, in
comparison with scribbling on paper and coming to "make a few comments".
I dont  think there was a huge departure from general CS issues on the
speech. Granted, not every thing could be covered and not all countries
that needed to be named and shamed can fit into a 5-minute speech.

I am convinced, however, that the "All of the people, all of the Internet,
all of the time" message was clear and was delivered.

Having said the above, I noted that "zero-rated" services may not have gone
well with some and someone had "respectfully disagreed".
I did retweet that and maybe that is where I see us taking the discussion
forward.  Mark Zuckerberg has published a blog post
<https://www.facebook.com/zuck/posts/10102033678947881> on this, and linked
it, interestingly with net neutrality.

My personal opinion, which is what I stated, is that zero-rated services
are not "sustainable access".

Will be good to hear what others think, especially people who live and work
in places where affordable access is still a huge challenge.

All for now

Nnenna

PS/ As for critical or uncritical praise.  It does not apply to me,
personally. As I never see speeches as mine. I only distill issues that are
common and I present them with a passion. So praise is not mine, but to all
who contributed. And I can tell you, there are many.