[governance] Chairs statement from GCCS

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Fri Apr 17 08:37:35 EDT 2015

The Chairs statement from this conference is now released at https://www.gccs2015.com/sites/default/files/documents/Chairs%20Statement%20GCCS2015%20-%2017%20April.pdf

CS people are now working on a response and final call at the unconference and this will (probably) be released later today. It will include disappointment at the non inclusion of references to necessary and proportionate principles, NetMundial principles, and the lack of reference to mass surveillance. Huge gaps, but we have also had some wins, eg inclusion of privacy by design, and quotes like this

“The Conference emphasised that our commitment to the protection of human rights must be unequivocal and that the protection of human rights and security online are complementary concepts. We must remain vigilant about those who use the Internet for incitement to (imminent) violence, and for the recruitment for or financing of terrorism, and ensure that such violations are countered within the framework of the rule of law without allowing ourselves to be governed by a climate of fear. We must also take full account of the need to protect the security and integrity of people, as well as their personal information, networks and devices, in ways that are fully compliant with international law, including human rights law.”

I’m sure others will have things to report from this event and there will be more later.

Ian Peter