[governance] [bestbits] CS input to Chairs Statement for GCCS - apologies for short time frame

Baudouin Schombe baudouin.schombe at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 06:03:40 EDT 2015

Dear Sivasubramanian

I strongly support the three proposals. You found the right formulation.

For the latter, I suggest that this be clarified: *national sovereignty and
/ or international obligations of a country.*

I am confident that we are facing two paradigms that must necessarily be
explicit in the context of cybercrime.

*Q5 Areas of the text which could be strengthened*
(22)  Not only is it important to facilitate the "acquisition of digital
evidence" but also emphasize the trans-border nature of cybercrime and
provide for faster extradition where there is strong evidence of
trans-border or global cybercrime ​

*Q6 Areas of the text t​​hat raise concerns*

​ The overall emphasis on Cyber Security is a cause for concern. There is a
disproportional emphasis on Cyber Security measures over Civil Liberties.​

*Q7 Areas of the text where there are inconsistencies or that lack clarity*

( 27) What is emphasized here? State sovereignty or the international
obligations?​

> Dear Ian,
>
> I sent the following comments by completing the Google form. Posting here
> to ask if these views are shared:
>
> *Q4 Sections of the text that you support being included in the final
> outcome document*
>
> ​The document could fundamentally affirm a Global Commitment to preserve
> the Internet as a Free and Open eco-system and commit to preserve its Core
> Values. The document could emphatically articulate that the architectural
> principles of the Internet are not to be altered, its underlying core
> values are not to be altered.​
>
> *Q5 Areas of the text which could be strengthened*
>
> (22)  Not only is it important to facilitate the "acquisition of digital
> evidence" but also emphasize the trans-border nature of cybercrime and
> provide for faster extradition where there is strong evidence of
> trans-border or global cybercrime ​
>
> *Q6 Areas of the text t​​hat raise concerns*
>
> ​The overall emphasis on Cyber Security is a cause for concern. There is a
> disproportional emphasis on Cyber Security measures over Civil Liberties.​
>
> *Q7 Areas of the text where there are inconsistencies or that lack clarity*
>
> ( 27) What is emphasized here? State sovereignty or the international
> obligations?​
>

> Sivasubramanian M <https://www.facebook.com/sivasubramanian.muthusamy>
>
> On Sat, Apr 4, 2015 at 2:32 AM, Ian Peter <ian.peter at ianpeter.com> wrote:
>
>>   Dear friends,
>>
>> *[Apologies for cross-posting]*
>>

>> *Below is a statement requesting your input into formulating the civil
>> society response to the Chair’s statement for GCCS 2015. Apologies for very
>> short comments period, but the draft was only released for our wider input
>> in last 24 hours, and we need to submit a consolidated CS response after
>> getting your input. There will be another (again short) opportunity to
>> comment on the consolidated response as per message below.*
>>

>> *Governments and business interests will also be responding to the text
>> separately in the same time frame, so we can expect changes. There are some
>> (surprisingly) good sections of the text  currently (IMHO) that we need to
>> argue to retain, plus plenty where we can suggest improvements. But please
>> input within the time frame either by the form or the email address below.*
>>

>> We would like to bring to your attention the call for civil society input
>> on the outcome document for the Global Conference on Cyberspace 2015
>> <https://www.gccs2015.com/gccs/all-about-gccs2015> (GCCS 2015), hosted
>> by the government of the Kingdom of the Netherlands, and taking place in
>> The Hague on 16 and 17 April 2015.
>>
>> Following on from the London (2011), Budapest (2012), and Seoul (2013)
>> Conferences - a series also known as the London Process, the 2015 event in
>> The Hague will provide an opportunity for further high-level discussion of
>> key cyberspace issues, structured around the three main themes of Freedom
> [...]

*SCHOMBE BAUDOUIN*

*COORDINATION NATIONALE CAFEC*

*ICANN/AFRALO Member*
*ISOC Member*
Téléphone mobile:+243998983491/+243813684512
email                  : b.schombe at gmail.com
skype                 : b.schombe
blog                    : http://akimambo.unblog.fr