[governance] New Deputy Secretary-General at UNCTAD

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Fri Apr 3 01:24:29 EDT 2015

On Thursday 02 April 2015 10:39 PM, Nick Ashton-Hart wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> For those of you who follow the work of the UN Conference on Trade and
> Development (UNCTAD) especially the work of the CSTD related to WSIS -
> it has a new Deputy Secretary-General, Joakim Reiter of Sweden
> <http://unctad.org/en/pages/newsdetails.aspx?OriginalVersionID=967&Sitemap_x0020_Taxonomy=UNCTAD%20Home;#14;%23OSG>.
>  (For those who don't know UNCTAD is to developing countries as OECD
> is to the developed world).

If  so, then would you agree that like the OECD, UNCTAD should have a
committee on digital economy policy as well, and with a rather expanded
mandate, beyond strictly economic issues, as the the OECD's Committee on
Digital Economy Policy has? Especially since unlike OECD, which
represents only the richest nations, UNCTAD has represenation from all
countries, including those developing and least developed, and civil
society should be most focussing on interests and representation of the
marginalised groups and people.

Thanks.

parminder