[governance] Opening Session @ the Global Conference on Cyberspace - thoughts welcome

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Thu Apr 2 19:53:58 EDT 2015

Hi Devon,

I think the debate can and will evolve from the suggestion that “security” and human rights – in particular the right to privacy – need to in some way work against each other. While some governments still believe this is the case, many others now appear to have moved on from this.

A parallel might be to compare the great “security” we would have in society if there was a policeman permanently stationed on every street corner. I’m sure it would reduce crime, but would it create the sort of society we want to live in? I don’t think so; in fact we have a term for that sort of society, it is called a police state. And may I suggest that various forms of mass surveillance being suggested as necessary by some security groups might be heading in this direction, and are a step too far. Increasingly governments are recognising this.

I believe the early draft Chair’s statement for this conference will be released soon to civil society lists, for inputs into a civil society response to this draft. But having just had a sneak preview of the document, I was generally pleased with the strength of the suggested text on privacy and human rights, which begins with “the protection of human rights and security online are complementary concepts”. But there is a long way to go and there may be attempts to water down these sections.

But yes, I do believe that this matter is likely to be a key issue at the conference, and we should raise our voices to talk about the sort of society we would wish to live in.

Ian Peter