[governance] [govenance] The domain name racket goes on

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Fri Sep 26 06:59:26 EDT 2014

On Monday 22 September 2014 09:39 PM, Milton L Mueller wrote:

> Parminder:
>
> How would you know? You’ve never been to any of these meetings and
> don’t track the processes.

Neither have I been to any ITU meeting. So since you are laying down the
rules regarding who can speak about IG processes and who cannot, you may
want to be more precise and tell me how many meetings of any IG forum
one must attend before one can comment on it.

As for following these meetings, the problem is not so much about other
people not following what is happening at ICANN (which deliberately
makes things difficult to follow which is one of their main strategies
of protecting and perpetuating themselves) , but those who go to ICANN
not following what is happening in the real world. This is why they can
cause such serious blunders as evident in the new gTLD implementation
where new forms of private regulatory mechanisms are being set up in
very partisan ways - like the one which will regulate the use of .health
gtld, and generic words belonging to the whole English speaking
community are allowed to be privatized in their domain name version like
.book and .beauty.... To think that most people of the world want such
things is preposterous, but those involved with ICANN can make
themselves believe that this is indeed so. Get out of your insularity
please. There is a real world out there. And you are hurting its interests.

parminder