[governance] [govenance] The domain name racket goes on

Barry Shein bzs at world.std.com
Thu Sep 18 15:46:53 EDT 2014

Seriously? You're going to try to combat fraudulent et al drug
purveyors by control of .HEALTH?

By what standard?

Perhaps I will overstate but homeopathy, for example, is regarded with
great respect in France.

In the US it is generally considered a blatantly fraudulent
"pharmaceutical" practice and only squeaks by the laws by the most
generous interpretation of govt non-interference so long as benefit
claims (on packaging etc) are sufficiently vague.

Personally I tend towards the US view on homeopathy and would happily
vote that they are banned in any such .HEALTH regulatory regime, but
whatever, I'm suspect of any such effort.

And what about health claims made for yoga or aromatherapy or
crystals? Each and every one should be examined by some standard
enforced and implemented by registrars?

For each and every country? Only the lowest common denominator should
be acceptable, health claims with which every possibly affected
country is comfortable?

Should this be extended to .COM etc?

Or is there some sort of powerful mojo to a .HEALTH TLD which demands
that it, and it alone, be subject to such regulation?

My opinion is leave the regulation to the national regulatory
agencies. There's a long history of such regulaton.

Trying to regulate health claims via a TLD has to be one of the
sillier ideas which has infected these circles.

--
        -Barry Shein

Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Dial-Up: US, PR, Canada