[governance] [govenance] The domain name racket goes on

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Sep 18 11:00:26 EDT 2014

On Thursday 18 September 2014 07:47 PM, McTim wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 9:03 AM, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net
> <mailto:parminder at itforchange.net>> wrote:
>
> Without the need to develop policy using many thousands of people
> around the world as the policy making community,
>

>     Yes, after such intense consultations, they decide that the global
>     public is ok with giving .health to a US organisation that
>     promotes the interests of big pharma against cheap generic drugs,
>     which is a matter of life and death to so many poor people
>

> If only facts didn't get in the way of your arguments!
>
> the fact is that neither ICANN as an entity nor as a policy community
> "decided" to give .health to these folks:
>
> http://www.dothealthgtld.com/aboutus.html
>
> they applied for it, and received it according to the Applicant
> Guidebook (which was developed by the policy community, which you
> refuse to be a part of).
>
> Another fact is there is ZERO big pharma support to .health, but
> really, carry on with your counter-factual-ism, you will always find
> takers here it seems!

See http://infojustice.org/archives/31846  about the Center for Safe
Internet Pharmacies- a major backer of .health and its relationship with
big pharma.

And you of course know that GAC as well as WHO opposed delegation of dot
health. In this case even the independent Expert opposed it. Also ALAC
opposed it.

As to what relationship The Alliance for Safe Online Pharmacies has with
the Intellectual Property establishment of the US, and how safe drug
trade is very often just a code word for US Intellectual Property law
complaint global drug trade , see
http://safeonlinerx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/ASOP-Response-to-IPEC.pdf
, especially the passage

We urge IPEC to maintain consistent dialogue with CSIP and other
Internet commerce companies to:

Reiterate the Administration's commitment to combating illegal online
drug sellers and encouraging voluntary action from private sector
stakeholders consistent with IPEC's 2010 Annual Report (2010 U.S.
Intellectual Property Enforcement Coordinator Annual Report on
Intellectual Property Enforcement pg. 28)

(quote ends)

There are endless such reports and analyses on the Internet. Dot health
is going to be policed as per US drugs law and this clearly means that
generic drug traders should avoid this gltd, which such a outrage,
clearly US calls the shots with eh global DNS system and this is not at
all acceptable.

A paper analysing the issue is at

parminder