[governance] [govenance] The domain name racket goes on

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Sep 18 10:03:57 EDT 2014

On Thursday 18 September 2014 07:18 PM, McTim wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 8:32 AM, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net
> <mailto:parminder at itforchange.net>> wrote:
>

>     The simple tasks that is the mandate of the ICANN to perform can
>     be done at maybe 5 percent of ICANN's budget or at least revenue.
>

> Mandate or IANA function?  If the latter, you are correct.
>
>     ICANN is just highly puffed up for basically serving US's
>     geopolitical interests
>

> ICANN is "puffed up" because it costs a lot of money to put on
> meetings 3x per year in far flung locations around the world.
>
> Without the need to develop policy using many thousands of people
> around the world as the policy making community,

Yes, after such intense consultations, they decide that the global
public is ok with giving .health to a US organisation that promotes the
interests of big pharma against cheap generic drugs, which is a matter
of life and death to so many poor people, is likely to auction .book to
Amazon as a closed generic, so that Amazon holds the rights to what can
be called as a digital book, and so many other monstrosities...

> they could do their job using far fewer resources.
>
> This spending is a feature, not a bug.  It is a very useful feature
> for CS folks who rely on the no-strings attached travel funding to
> participate in person.

No-strings!! Thats the joke here...

parminder