[governance] WEF

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Fri Sep 5 16:54:15 EDT 2014

Please note that CSCG received an email yesterday from Alan Marcus of World Economic Forum, in reply to ours requesting clarification on various issues as regards possible appointment of civil society reps and asking for more time. Alan had already left IGF.

The letter really clarified nothing. But it did say that yes we could have more time (how much not specified). Here is the text

“I believe I understand your questions and concerns. And certainly with other consultations through out the week I believe I have a much better appreciation for where the concerns come from and what the opportunities for collaborative impact can be.

As should be the case, the feedback points to improvement opportunities for which we are prepared to evolve our thinking.

For now I can agree to give more time and we will take some time as well to ensure out "tweaks" are well thought through a(nd) reflect feedback we have received. “

So I think this is all on hold at present – for how long we dont know, and if anyone has further information please pass it on (confidentially if you wish).

One of the changes certainly seems to be that they will drop the NetMundial Initiative name; at least for now This was mentioned at several meetings throughout the week, and apparently they received a lot of negative feedback on this.

What will happen as regards CS reps is unknown – we had their earlier agreement to appoint 4 reps, but this may be one of the “tweaks” that change. Or the whole thing might just fizzle into nothing.

CSCG  will not be doing anything without further clarification.

Ian Peter