[governance] Recommendation to the UN General Assembly for an Open Ended Mandate of the Internet Governance Forum (IGF)

Stephanie Perrin stephanie.perrin at mail.utoronto.ca
Fri Sep 5 03:45:19 EDT 2014

These are great questions Parminder, which I cannot answer.  We were
told it was a new and viable effort to gather funding support.  I am
busy trying to gather and input as many signatures as possible so that
we have a decent number to report by this afternoon....but I think
others could answer those questions.
Cheers Stephanie
On 2014-09-04, 16:11, parminder wrote:

> My main problem with the letter - as I discussed today personally with
> Jeanette and Stephanie -  is the promotion in it of the IGF support
> association - an unknown and as non transparent imitative as any . Its
> civil society representation especially I do not understand and
> appriciate... Where did the group come from, who formed it, why... And
> why in the cover of something like the preservation of the IGF which
> issue would rightly get  great support, including perhaps from
> governments, this unknown non transparent organisation is being
> promoted. Who are they?
>
> parminder
>

> On Thursday 04 September 2014 07:38 PM, Stephanie Perrin wrote:
>> Just an update:  we already have over a dozen signatories.  I will
>> send an update on signatories at 9am tomorrow, and at 1pm tomorrow,
>> UTC+2.  Qualified statements of support are also most welcome; please
>> indicate how you would prefer this support to be expressed.
>> The proper title for the attached document is listed in the Subject
>> line.
>> Stephanie Perrin
>>> Dear colleagues and fellow stakeholders of the Internet Governance Forum:
>>>
>>> At the 9th meeting of the Internet Governance Forum, various
>>> stakeholders discussed their common desire to request an immediate
>>> extension of the IGF mandate, in order to create stabiity for the
>>> organization and predictability for those engaged in seeking funding for
>>> projects.  We have drafted a statement to send to the UN, to request not
>>> just an immediate renewal of the IGF mandate, but rather an open-ended
>>> re-authorization of the IGF as a voluntary, multistakeholder forum.  We
>>> request that other participants in the IGF also support this message on
>>> or before November 1.
>>>
>>> We will be creating a neutral website for this project at
>>> www.IGFcontinuity.org  very shortly, to accept sign-ons of organizations,
>>> countries, and individuals.  In the meantime, the undersigned will
>>> collect your signatures and description of your organization if you are
>>> able to endorse this letter by the time of the closing ceremony at IGF
>>> 2014.  The deadline to be included in the letter presented via the Chair
>>> will be 11am UTC, Friday September 5.
>>> Examples of how you will be listed appear below:
>>> 1.  Jane Smith                       Individual
>>> 2.  Acme Industry Association        Association representing 150 manuacturers of widgets