[governance] VIDEO: Internet Governance Forum Support Association inaugural assembly in Istanbul #igfsa @internetSociety #igf2014

Seth Johnson seth.p.johnson at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 16:11:38 EDT 2014

The character of the UN IGF Secretariat role on the board will be
important.  This is more of a legal structure now, keep in mind.  We may
have some hope of some real balance (which it is very difficult to
establish in the international arena) if we watch how far the role
approaches that of a "plenipotentiary" -- but of course, as we all know, it
does derive from an intergovernmental body.

(Just saying.  I'm not going to be reassured until our fundamental
liberties are rooted in constitutional systems that we have set up, rather
than placing faith in systems not rooted properly in that way.  I don't
think anybody should be comfortable before we undertake things based on
that understanding.  Certainly the idea is laudable that a group on the
side of the kind of stewardship to which we are accustomed, and that we
might be expected to regard as independent, would act to support the IGF
right about now.)

Seth