[governance] Re: [bestbits] Draft statement on making IGF permanent

Matthew Shears mshears at cdt.org
Mon Sep 1 11:42:28 EDT 2014

Jeanette, Stephanie

Great initiative.   Would be wonderful if we could turn this around, get
signatures and announce during the open mic/closing session.

Can we try and get comments by end of Wednesday, sign-ons by end of day
Thurs?

Letter may be a little long and overly full of UN text references - but
that may be a matter of tweaking.

Best.

Matthew

On 9/1/2014 5:46 PM, Jeanette Hofmann wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Stephanie Perrin and I have drafted a statement that asks the UN
> Secretary to consider renewing the mandate of the IGF on a permanent
> basis.
>
> About 90% of the text are quotes from UN documents referring to the
> IGF and from the NetMundial Statement.
>
> Our draft is intended to reflect the views of all stakeholders and
> perhaps get a broad endorsement at the end of the IGF.
>
> Right now, it is just a draft. Changes are welcome.
>
> We have set up a pad for editing:
>
> https://etherpad.mozilla.org/LQO468JD1K
>
> For convenience we also paste the text into this email below.
>
> The goal is to complete the editing before the end of the IGF.
>
> Stephanie and Jeanette
>

> Request for consideration to the UN Secretary General on permanence of
> the IGF
>

> In 2005, the UN Member states asked the UN Secretary-General in the
> Tunis Agenda, to convene a meeting of the new forum for
> multi-stakeholder policy dialogue—called the Internet Governance Forum
> (IGF). (Footnote: paragraph 72, Tunis Agenda)
> The mandate of the Forum was to discuss public policy issues relating
> to key elements of Internet governance, such as those enumerated in
> the Tunis Agenda, in order to foster the sustainability, robustness,
> security, stability and development of the Internet in developed and
> developing countries. The Forum was not to replace existing
> arrangements, mechanisms, institutions or organizations. It was
> intended to constitute a neutral, non-duplicative and non-binding
> process, and have no involvement in day-to-day or technical operations
> of the Internet.
> The Tunis Agenda also asked the UN Secretary-General to examine the
> desirability of the continuation of the Forum, in formal consultation
> with Forum participants, within five years of its creation, and to
> make recommendations to the UN Membership in this regard. At its
> sixty-fifth session, the General Assembly decided to extend the
> mandate of the IGF, underlining the need to improve the IGF “with a
> view to linking it to the broader dialogue on global Internet
> governance”.
> In his note on the continuation of the Internet Governance Forum, the
> UN Secretary General confirmed that the IGF was unique and valuable.
> It is a place where Governments, civil society, the private sector and
> international organizations discuss important questions of economic
> and social development. They share their insights and achievements and
> build a common understanding of the Internet’s great potential.
>

> The Secretary-General recommended that
> (a) That the mandate of the Internet Governance Forum be extended for
> a further five years;
> (b) That the desirability of continuation be considered again by Member
> States within the context of a 10-year review of implementation of the
> outcome of the World Summit on the Information Society in 2015;

> [...]

Matthew Shears
Director - Global Internet Policy and Human Rights
Center for Democracy & Technology (CDT)
mshears at cdt.org
+ 44 771 247 2987