[governance] Re: [bestbits] Call for making the IGF permanent

Kossi Amessinou amessinoukossi at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 10:27:09 EDT 2014

We all are working to get support association for IGF. We make the workshop
for that today in istanbul.

> I support the call.
>
> It should be accompanied with the UN providing permanent institutional
> funding for it.  Nothing can be permanent and stable without clear and
> stable source of funding.
>
> BTW, the IGF is right now a 'project' of UNDESA, and projects normally are
> not permanent. For being permanent it has to be an incorporated body with
> institutional funding.
>
> Anne, in the CSRD WG on IGF improvements,  IT for Change and some
> developing country asked for a part of domain names tax collected by ICANN
> to be dedicated to IGF funding. This has to be done in a statutory/
> constitutional manner and not as ad hoc, upto ICANN, measure.
>
> parminder
>
>  On Monday 01 September 2014 02:13 PM, Anne Jellema wrote:
>
> Actually the point about stable and predictable funding - and I would add
> to that, transparent and accountable financial management - seems just as
> important as (and closely linked to) the permanent mandate.
>
>  WF continues to advocate that a % of gTLD revenues be set aside for this
> purpose, as well as for other public benefit purposes, but if it is
> considered unwise to mix ICANN issues with IGF issues then perhaps it's
> enough just to reference the need for expanded, predictable funding that is
> transparently accounted for.
>
>  cheers
> Anne
>

> On Mon, Sep 1, 2014 at 10:00 AM, Eduardo Bertoni <ebertoni at alumni.gwu.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> I support Joana´s idea re taking into account what the NetMundial final
>> declaration says. I would only add that the "next" IGF should do better in
>> linking its agenda and wok with the regional IGFs.

>> Eduardo
>>

>> On Mon, Sep 1, 2014 at 10:53 AM, Joana Varon <joana at varonferraz.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Agree.
>>>
>>>  At NETMundial final statement, this is what we have on IGF:
>>>
>>>  "There is a need for a strengthened Internet Governance Forum (IGF).
>>> Important recommendations to that end were made by the UN CSTD working
>>> group on IGF improvements. It is suggested that these recommendations will
>>> be
>>> implemented by the end of 2015. Improvements should include inter-alia:
>>> a.Improved outcomes: Improvements can be implemented including creative
>>> ways of providing outcomes/recommendations and the analysis of policy
>>> options;
>>> b.Extending the IGF mandate beyond five-year terms;
>>> c. Ensuring guaranteed stable and predictable funding for the IGF,
>>> including
>>> through a broadened donor base, is essential;
>>> d. The IGF should adopt mechanisms to promote worldwide discussions
>>> between meetings through intersessional dialogues.
>>> A strengthened IGF could better serve as a platform for discussing both
>>> long
>>> standing and emerging issues with a view to contributing to the
>>> identification of
>>> possible ways to address them."
>>>
>>>  We could departure from that and add "ask the UN to make the IGF a
>>> permanent body instead of  renewing its mandate for another limited term of
>>> 5 or 10 years."
>>>
>>>  1Net could also be a platform to facilitate this.
>>>
>>>  best
>>>
>>>  joana

>>>   --
>>> --
>>>
>>> Joana Varon Ferraz
>>> @joana_varon
>>> PGP 0x016B8E73

>  --
>  Anne Jellema
> CEO
> +27 061 36 9352 (ZA)
>  +1 202 684 6885 (US)
> @afjellema
>
>  *World Wide Web Foundation | 1110 Vermont Ave NW, Suite 500, Washington
> DC, 20005, USA | www.webfoundation.org <http://www.webfoundation.org/> |
> Twitter: @webfoundation*

>      http://www.igcaucus.org/

AMESSINOU Kossi
Ingénieur TIC | ICT Engineer
Contact personnel: 00229 95 19 67 02
skype: amessinou | @amessinou | @bigf
http://www.facebook.com/amessinoukossi |
www.linkedin.com/pub/kossi-amessinou
Que Dieu vous bénisse | Dans le silence, Dieu nous parle!