[governance] Hungarian Internet taxation

Jean-Christophe Nothias jeanchristophe.nothias at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 14:26:04 EDT 2014

A really good news for today.

Democracy  is still a story with ballots and votes, sometime streets. When a government has some hearing difficulties the ballots make it to the streets. Still I would not see any "policy making" here: many people oppose a stupid project to help finance increase in military spendings, a Russian nuclear plant in Hungary, and keep reducing by the same token freedom of expression.. A simple and clear "droit de veto". When vote is not enough it might twist to veto! Too bad we often underestimate the power of vote and veto. They belong to Democracy. Encouraging the people to take into their hands their own voice and make it heard from their duly elected representative and governing authorities is their ultimate right. The stronger contract ever invented is still the democratic one. It doesn't equate to the street making law.

Should the next step for the Hungarian democracy simply be that for their next elections, the voters come to switch to another representatives, able to choose for a more sounded leadership. Didn't they vote for that Orban? Democracy is mostly about that: accountability and ability to change the driver if his drive is getting hectic. It is a huge power over politics.

That being said, it should be seen how the Internet can provide part of fiscal support to help and support national and transnational  public policy making when it comes to global interconnected telecommunications (Internet). The end users are for most of them already paying VAT for accessing the Internet. Maybe the big players and profit makers should be talked to for the sake of social and economical justice worldwide. ;-)  Sorry for I couldn't help to add this. Still totally in agreement with me dear Hungarian fellow European neighbors.

JC