[bestbits] [governance] Internet-related Issues at PP-14

Mawaki Chango kichango at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 06:44:58 EDT 2014

On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 9:57 AM, David Cake <dave at difference.com.au> wrote:

> While I wouldn't argue against use of IP law to stop counterfeiting
> (without wishing to dip into that complex issue), the idea that if a device
> is counterfeit is permissable to attempt to effectively destroy end users
> private property is outrageous. We need to stop that kind of thinking, that
> manufacturers intellectual property rights trump consumer rights and
> property rights.

Yes, it is already problematic enough that some digital services still seem
to be predicated on the presumption that the user will always live in the
same place, making it excessively difficult for him or her to use the
service while connecting from a place they are not known to usually live.
So much for a global network!

Mawaki