[governance] PP: India wants to abolish BGP and introduce national routing and IP management

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Wed Oct 29 10:43:15 EDT 2014

Guru,

On Oct 29, 2014, at 1:09 AM, Guru Acharya <gurcharya at gmail.com> wrote:
> Please do explain the scope of "(e) To consider broad Internet policy issues in order to ensure that APNIC's policies and strategies fully respond to the constantly changing Internet environment;"

In my dictionary, "consider" means "think carefully about (something)". It does not equal "make" nor does it equal "represent <sub-group of people/industry>". The EC is responsible for the operation of APNIC. As such, it _must_ consider the environment in which it is operating. Through that consideration, it may encourage the membership and larger community to review changes in that environment and their implication on APNIC's policies, but the EC, itself, does not make policy.

> Don't you think IANA Transition is one of these "broad internet policy issues" that is outside the scope of the Policy SIG and within the scope of the APNIC EC due to the scope of function (e)?

In the sense that the transition might impact the environment in which APNIC operates, it is appropriate for the EC to consider the issue and raise the implications with the membership and the larger community.  Are you saying APNIC hasn't engaged the membership/larger community on the transition?

> I don't see the membership pushing the EC back to its constrained role. Maybe something failed somewhere in your design.

While I've no doubt something in 'my' design (or, more accurately, the design that was the result of a consensus bottom up process of the AP-region Internet community over 20 years ago) has failed somewhere, this doesn't appear to be it. An alternative and more likely interpretation of the lack of push back is that the membership/larger community does not believe the EC has exceeded its constrained role.

Regards,
-drc