[governance] PP: India wants to abolish BGP and introduce national routing and IP management

Sivasubramanian M isolatedn at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 07:14:25 EDT 2014

> IP addresses are only of use to ISPs.

​Regardless of the context of this comment, it is especially true of India.
 ​The end user does not yet get to have an IP address. ISPs and very large
Business Users get to have IP addresses, who largely assign dynamic IP
addresses. If the ISPs maintain a session-wise NAT table that traces the
end user by the dynamic address assigned to the user for the session, such
a system is prone to be unreliable.

The world feels the scarcity of IPv4 addresses during the last 7 years,
whereas in India the ISPs have made the IP addresses very dear from the
beginning. Possibly for this reason, it suited the Network Operators not to
try to obtain huge blocks as Operators from other countries did.

Now even if the Government throws its weight behind this 'cause' and
obtains by some means IPv4 blocks, how would it be a benefit to the end
user in India?

Sivasubramanian M <https://www.facebook.com/sivasubramanian.muthusamy>