[governance] PP: India wants to abolish BGP and introduce national routing and IP management

Sivasubramanian M isolatedn at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 05:55:53 EDT 2014

The perception of block voting apart, if a country, let's say India or
China, each with over a billion in population, has some concerns to be
addressed by IANA or ICANN, for e.g. on requirement of numbers or an
exceptionally pressing issue the process could respond via an ad hoc track,
which as on date does not exist, but nevertheless, isn't impossible. Not
that I know of any such precedent, but I have a feeling that quick face to
face meetings could happen - either in the style of Wolfgang
Kleinwaechter's & a few from Civil Society with some Representatives of
Government during IGF Kenya (if I recall well) or by a face face
interaction of designated Government Representative with the Chair / CEOs
of the organizations responsible. I feel that such a possibility exists in
case a National Government has an extra ordinary concern that requires to
be quickly resolved. In such situations, the Community would trust the
Chair / CEO's judgement and any ratification process could also happen on a
fast track. All this is to say that there is an inherent flexibility within
the Internet Community processes, which by comparison, would not exist in
an ITU like inter-governmental environment at all.

Sivasubramanian M <https://www.facebook.com/sivasubramanian.muthusamy>
+1 (213) 300 8293 Oct 11-19 2014