[governance] Root zone inviolability discussion

Ginger Paque gpaque at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 09:53:21 EDT 2014

Hi everyone.... Diplo and the Geneva Internet Platform (GIP) are discussing
IG issues in the build-up to the Geneva Internet Conference (GIC). Whether
or not you are planning to follow the conference itself, the discussions
offer non-political and constructive exchange of ideas on important topics.
Your input is needed and appreciated:

Control over the Internet root zone has been one of the most controversial
issues in the IG debate. As the core of the domain name system (Internet
address book), it ensures the functional integrity of the Internet. We
would like to share with you a policy brief by Dr Jovan Kurbalija „There is
a practical solution for the inviolability of the Internet root zone
<http://giplatform.org/sites/default/files/DiploFoundation%20Policy%20Brief%20No%204%20WEB.pdf>“
which proposes possible solutions:

   -

   The Internet root zone should be inviolable at any time, wherever it may
   be located.
   -

   No state should have the jurisdiction to prescribe, adjudicate, or
   enforce policy over the Internet root zone.
   -

   The Internet root zone may only be modified through existing procedures
   or new ones that might be introduced in September 2015.
   -

   The inviolability of the Internet root zone should be based on customary
   law that recognises the consistent practice of no unilateral interference
   by the US authorities in the content of the Internet root zone.

 Please consult the document
<http://giplatform.org/sites/default/files/DiploFoundation%20Policy%20Brief%20No%204%20WEB.pdf>
for further legal justification and more background. The policy brief sets
the stage for the *Geneva Internet Conference* <http://giplatform.org/gic>
organised within the *Geneva Internet Platform* <http://giplatform.org/>.

For your calendar and further discussion on this topic:

   -

   28 October (*Bern and online*) – Measurement and data in IG. What kind
   of numbers are we talking about?
   <http://giplatform.org/events/webinar-evidence-and-measurement-ig-what-sort-data-and-numbers-are-we-talking-about>
   -

   6 November (*Geneva*) – Jurisdiction in the Internet era
   <http://giplatform.org/events/jurisdiction-internet-era>
   -

   *Online* discussions leading to the Geneva Internet Conference on How to
   overcome IG policy silos on national and global levels?
   <http://giplatform.org/forum/how-overcome-ig-policy-silos-global-and-national-levels>
   and Whom do I call if I want to raise my IG concern?
   <http://giplatform.org/forum/whom-do-i-contact>

I look forward to seeing you in our discussions. If you have any questions
about the conference, or are interested in remote participation in the
conference, please let me know.

Cheers,
Ginger

Ginger (Virginia) Paque
IG Programmes, DiploFoundation

*Application deadline approaching: * Master/PGD in Contemporary Diplomacy
with Internet Governance option   http://www.diplomacy.edu/courses/MAPGD
<http://diplomacy.us5.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=89e7299f9fe54eed66d45cf3d&id=68a4fc5e88&e=bc0aff4eba>
* <http://www.diplomacy.edu/courses>*