[governance] Fwd: Call for feedback on two important IG issues...

Deirdre Williams williams.deirdre at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 11:38:31 EDT 2014

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Stephanie Borg Psaila <stephaniep at diplomacy.edu>
Date: 14 October 2014 11:25
Subject: Call for feedback on two important IG issues...
To: igcbp at diplomacy.edu

Dear friends,

We would like to invite you to share your thoughts on two very important
and current issues in Internet governance - issues which you may have
already thought about and discussed with you colleagues or in the community:

*#1 Overcoming policy silos: *Across different countries and regions,
stakeholders and policymakers often approach the same IG issues from
various angles and policy routes. Parallel debates often take place, with
the risk of policy incoherence and even turf battles among the forums
discussing the same issues. So, how can we overcome policy silos or policy
segregation?

To arrive at possible solutions, we first need to understand how the policy
process works in different countries by taking, as example, three areas:
(a) data protection and privacy; (b) cybersecurity and cybercrime; (c)
intellectual property rights. With this in mind, *please take part in the
survey on policy silos <https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/GICpolicysilos>, and
contribute to the discussion forum
<http://giplatform.org/forum/how-overcome-ig-policy-silos-global-and-national-levels>.
*

*#2. A** on**e-s**top shop:* IG is a highly complex policy space with
hundreds of actors addressing more than 50 different policy issues in a
wide range of forums. So, to whom do we address our concerns? Which
organisations do we get in touch with if we need information about
different IG aspects? Where can we learn about the latest developments?

A possible solution is the creation of a one-stop shop, or a ‘clearing
house’, with the underlying aim of assisting players – especially
governments and stakeholders from developing countries – in making better
use of existing processes to help shape their own policies on national
levels. The design is key: Should it be a new international Internet
organisation, a global multistakeholder IG clearing house, a distributed
governance system, or...? What functions should it have? *Please share your
views on discussion forum <http://giplatform.org/forum/whom-do-i-contact>.*

Your contributions will be help us (a) identify approaches to overcome
policy silos, and (b) make concrete proposals towards a clearing house.
Needless to say, your contributions will be highly appreciated.

The discussion is hosted by the Geneva Internet Platform
<http://giplatform.org>, in preparation for the upcoming international
conference, the Geneva Internet Conference <http://giplatform.org/gic>.

If you have any questions/comments, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Thanks in advance,

Stephanie
--
Stephanie Borg Psaila
DiploFoundation

*The latest from Diplo...* *Join our Internet governance community at
www.diplointernetgovernance.org <http://www.diplointernetgovernance.org>**
<http://www.diplomacy.edu/courses>*

email to igcbp+unsubscribe at diplomacy.edu.

--
“The fundamental cure for poverty is not money but knowledge" Sir William
Arthur Lewis, Nobel Prize Economics, 1979