[governance] PP: India wants to abolish BGP and introduce national routing and IP management

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Fri Oct 31 21:31:16 EDT 2014

Hi,

On Oct 31, 2014, at 11:24 AM, Daniel Kalchev <daniel at digsys.bg> wrote:
> There was never, ever, any government or even nation-state element in how it was all organized.

Perhaps in the RIPE region.  Other regions had different models, some of which did involve nation-state elements.

> In fact nation-state was at one time considered, by experimenting with national last resort IP address registries, but was ultimately abandoned because the community was not using it

In the Asia-Pacific region, Korean, Japanese, and Australian national NICs all existed prior to the existence of APNIC (and, in fact, were instrumental in helping APNIC get established). Government involvement in the AP region national NICs was typically informal and indirect at that time, but it did exist (government involvement has evolved over time). Within the Latin American and Caribbean region, I believe the Brazilian and Mexican NICs existed prior to the existence of LACNIC.

> I was today at a meeting with our government, and they insisted that "multistakeholderism", "as they were told by ICANN" means, that governments should have more role in managing the Internet.

I suspect (but am just guessing) that the intended message was that it would be useful if governments got more involved as a peer with other stakeholders in efforts related to Internet governance, i.e., governments are part of the multi-stakeholder model. However as you note, people will hear what they want to hear.

> They also commented that Bulgaria is the only country in Europe with a liberal regime where the government does not control the Internet (their wording), and this should be fixed.

It might be interesting to understand what they believe 'control the Internet' means.

Regards,
-drc