[bestbits] [governance] From Confusion to Clarification

Barry Shein bzs at world.std.com
Fri Nov 28 15:36:58 EST 2014

From: Andrea Glorioso <andrea at digitalpolicy.it>
>For what it's worth, coming from a "governmental" person (recovering from
>IG addiction) with an extensive history working in (and quarreling, I meant
>constructively engaging, with) civil society groups, I think this is an
>excellent idea - provided that the booklet is short, to the point,
>completely free of acronyms (I guess this will be the hardest part) and
>providing some concrete and actionable suggestions.

Acronyms!

I was looking around for what I could find out about CSCG,
specifically the list of member or supporting organizations. Just for
my own edification. I believe CSCG is the Civil Society Coordination
Group.

Google told me that CSCG matches, some with high rankings:

Corporate Strategy Case Group (top ranking!)
Cyber-Security Challenge, Germany (sometimes "owns" #CSCG on twitter)
Civil Society Consulting Group
Civil Society Contact Group (very high ranking)
Cyber-Security Coordination Group
Civil Society Coordinating Group
Civil Society Coordination Group
Civil Society Consultative Group
Corporacion para la Seguridad Ciudadana de Guayaquil
Center for Science and the Common Good

and some others (Circularly Symmetric Complex Gaussian, Christian
Science in Glasgow), some might be the same, granted some can be
rejected easily but try it, that's not as easy as it might seem.

A few acronym lists also contain these variations.

Nothing led me to a simple home page or similar for the one I was
looking for. Just guessing 'cscg.org' timed out.

There's something beyond confusing or overloading about acronyms. Even
when you feel you know what you are looking for you can get nowhere.

Perhaps this is minor in the scheme of things though seeing Andrea
Glorioso's comment motivated me to make this comment.

Searching "civil society coordination group" doesn't really narrow
down the response spectrum much.

P.S. The result is I never found what I was looking for so what is the
home page, if any, which corresponds to this local usage of "CSCG"?

--
        -Barry Shein

Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Dial-Up: US, PR, Canada