[governance] From Confusion to Clarification

Baudouin Schombe baudouin.schombe at gmail.com
Fri Nov 28 06:57:42 EST 2014

Hello all, hello Wolf,

I am completely satisfied with this constructive proposal that can reframe
the debate towards positive directions.

It is appropriate to recognize the exchanges were hot but the arguments of each
other have led us towards clarifying this difficult problem regarding
our participation
in the NMI.
I think we can now move although we do not yet have a global consensus on
the position to be adopted.

wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de>:

> Hi everybody
>
> After weeks of confusing conflicts let´s move towards clarifying
> collaboration. What we have seen in the recent (sometimes unfriendly)
> disputes is that there are many different  civil society activists with
> different civil society positions. This is confusing, both for newcomers
> who want to join civil society groups in Internet Governance discussions as
> well as for other stakeholders who want to collaborate with civil society.
> On the othher Hand: This is natural. The civil Society Stakeholder Groups
> has similar differences as the governmental stakeholder group if you
> compare the governmental positions of China, Russia, Saudi Arabia, US, EU,
> Brazil, India, Japan, Australia etc.
> This not the Problem. The probllem is that you have to know what the
> position. So it is about transparency and clarity.
>
> Here is a proposal how to move forward:  We have seen so many people
> writing long e-mails arguing for their position. Wouldn´t it be better if
> we use this energy to write more comprehensive and structured position or
> issue papers so that newbies or outsiders will better understand what the
> real points under discussions are in CS circles? We have seen rather
> different arguments around the same issue from JNC to APC and NCUC folks.
>
> I propose that we start to work on what I call a “Civil Society Internet
> Governance Handbook”.  This handbook would allow all CS groups within the
> CSCG to present their own individual points of views so that everybody
> knows what the positions are. The book could be structured into four main
> chapters:
>
> 1.      Human Rights (Access, Freedom of Expression, Privacy etc.)
> 2.      Security (Cyberwar, Cyberterrorism, Cybercrime etc.)
> 3.      Economic Development (Market domination, competition,
> infrastructure development etc.)
> 4.      Technical Coordination (Names, Numbers, Protocols etc.)
>
> Each of the six groups under the CSCG (IGC, BB, JNC, NCSG, Diplo, APC)
> could nominate four authors (one for each chapter). Each author would be
> free to argue for her/his position (five to maximum teen pages). There is
> no need for consensus. Every author would be free to present her/his
> radical, moderate, liberal and whatsoever position on one of the four main
> issues.
>
> Such a compendium would help to bring more transparency into the process
> and would enable a more fact based discussion in the IG events ahead of us.
>
> We could deliver this as an e-book (probably with an Annex with main
> official texts as Tunis Agenda, Sao Paulo Principles, UN Resolutions etc.)
> until the May 2015 Sessions in Geneva. In total this book would be around
> 250 pages. If we find a sponsor we could publish this for the New York
> event in December 2015. Such a book would seen by the rest of the IG
> Community as a helpful contribution, it would strengthen the role of CS in
> [...]

*SCHOMBE BAUDOUIN*

*COORDINATION NATIONALE CAFEC*

*ICANN/AFRALO Member*
*ISOC Member*
Téléphone mobile:+243998983491/+243813684512
email                  : b.schombe at gmail.com
skype                 : b.schombe
blog                    : http://akimambo.unblog.fr