[governance] URGENT: Last call for feedback on CS participation in NETmundial Initiative

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Nov 26 05:39:56 EST 2014

On Wednesday 26 November 2014 03:24 PM, Deirdre Williams wrote:

> Dear Parminder,
>
> You ask for my opinion.
> I think that there are two discussions here, and they are becoming
> confused.
> One is about the NETmundial Initiative (NMI), an assessment of its
> value if any, and of the dangers it might represent.
> The other is whether civil society should engage itself in the NMI
> process.
> Engaging in the process has nothing necessarily to do with approval of
> NMI. The response of some people is "have nothing to do with it",
> others prefer to retain a voice in the proceedings.

Dear Deirdre

> As for IGC -
> I have no legal training and cannot speak to "legality". My feeling is

As office holders of the IGC, you cannot say that you cannot infer from
or interpret the rules of the caucus and you just speak from your
feelings... You need to speak and act from your interpretations of the
rules laid out in the IGC charter, which interpretation itself of course
is subject to further due process.

> that the time to complain about a process is at the beginning, rather
> than when it has reached a conclusion.

I completely fail to understand what you mean here... Cocos sought
feedback on IGC's participation in the NMI. Many including myself gave
feedback. Cocos are entirely within their right to seek any kind of
feedback... Why and how can I object to that. Obtaining feedback does
not automatically lead to conclusion of an IGC decision, unless of
course co cos can consider it a consensus decision, which I am sure you
are not calling it. Are you?

Relevant section from the Charter <http://igcaucus.org/charter>

"The IGC will work on the basis of consensus as much as is possible.
When complete consensus cannot be reached the coordinators will be
jointly empowered to call rough consensus. Rough consensus, for the
purposes of the IGC, is defined as the point at which an overwhelming
majority of the IGC appears to agree with a position with any dissenting
minority view having been well discussed and respected. Rough consensus
can only be called after a serious attempt has been made to accommodate
minority points of view.
When both coordinators agree that it is necessary to make a rough
consensus call, the coordinator will announce the text of the consensus
decision on the mailing list and allow for at least fourty eight (48)
hours of final discussion."

Have you not read this, or do you deliberately refuse to follow the due
process?

> The Charter seems to me to give co - coordinators space to deal with
> matters that are very urgent.

No, the charter gives you no such cover in the matter and contexts like
the one involving IGC joining the NMI (first, this is not making an on
the spot statement, second you have had weeks to seek this decision in a
legal manner). You are passers trying to take the shelter of the below
provision which, it is patent, simply does not apply.

"Normally, whenever there is sufficient time for a statement to be
discussed and approved by the caucus as a whole, the decision procedure
outlined above will be required. However, there will be occasions /*when
members of the caucus will be attending meetings and will be presented
with the opportunity to make statements*/ that /*require a very quick
response*/. In these cases, while it is still required that the caucus
be informed of an upcoming statement and its contents as soon as
possible the following rule may be applied when necessary." (emphasis added)

> The important thing is that there should be transparency and consultation.

The important thing is to maintain the letter and spirit of the rules of
the group of which you have been chosen as an office bearer.

> In this case there were both - transparency and consultation - and the
> consensus coming out of this is that IGC as a group prefers to keep
> the line of communication open.

Consensus!!?? Are you declaring a consensus of view inside the IGC to go
with the NMI .. Please make it clear, the term consensus has a clear
meaning implied in the IGC rules.

> Mawaki has worked very hard on this as the IGC representative on CSCG,
> and deserves our thanks.
>
> There is another place where the discussion is confused. The CSCG is
> an appropriate context for discussion of whether or not civil society
> should join with NMI,

No, I am not confused. This is the place for the IGC to decide whether
it will like to join the NMI or not (one of the most important CS
decisions and one of the most divisive one in a long time) and
accordingly what would its rep communicate to the CSCG. CSCG just
compiles views, seeks clarifications etc,  and acts accordingly. It was
specifically made clear through interventions of many members during the
last round of NMI related discussions in Aug-Sept that CSG has no such
role of discussing such things by itself and deciding them (something
which is clear in the formative documents of the CSCG, which should be
known to all, and certainly to IGC's cocos.)

> but absent at least a rough consensus, and present such widely opposed
> views,

Deirdre, I am not sure I understand you... You seem to suggest that
there is some kind of consensus inside the IGC to join up with NMI but
an absence of even a rough consensus overall in civil society to join
in. But I saw at least as many dissenting views inside the IGC as
outside in this matter, and so i am just not clear what  you are saying
here.

> my own feeling is that, unless things change, the CSCG should now
> withdraw from the selection process.

Feelings do not matter much I think, what Mawaki and you communicate to
the CSCG does. (BTW, can you please share what precisely was
communicated on IGC's behalf to the CSCG, as an IGC member I need to
know).... As you would have seen from Ian's email, despite your feeling,
but presumably based on IGC coco's communication to him, he has
announced a process to cooperating with WEF's NMI to select civil
society nominations.

> However the situation is changing very rapidly, and the nature of NMI
> is changing with it.
>
> I hope very much that at the end of the day we won't find that we have
> thrown out the IGC baby in the NMI bathwater.

A considerable harm would have been done to the no doubt already sick
IGC baby if co-cos go ahead with their illegal act and an illegal
communication of what has been presented as a decision of the IGC. I
myself very much hope we will be spared such grave harm to the IGC.

parminder