[governance] Civil society participation in NMI Coordination committee

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Mon Nov 24 07:49:30 EST 2014

On Mon, 24 Nov 2014 10:05:03 -0200
"Carlos A. Afonso" <ca at cafonso.ca> wrote:

> I hope you are aware ISOC decided to publish its board declaration
> without proper bottom-up consultation with its chapters -- which is
> odd, given that ISOC supposedly tries to do everything in a
> transparent, bottom-up, multistakeholder fashion.

I'm a member of ISOC and of the Swiss chapter of ISOC, but I haven't
seen any significant evidence that the international part of ISOC
“supposedly tries to do everything in a transparent, bottom-up,
multistakeholder fashion.”

Not on this issue, nor on any other issue.

The reason why I'm still a member is that in the Swiss chapter things
are different, with open and transparent and inclusive discussion in a
consensus-oriented way before a decision is taken.

Of course that is much easier to achieve in a small national chapter
than in an organization as big as the global ISOC.

Greetings,
Norbert