[governance] More Big Brother?

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Mon Nov 24 04:31:38 EST 2014

In message
<CAMz5XN4J0+QezOmJxzXG0+4ZG2Rg=iiHWJNJXbA4eYLr-mwwuQ at mail.gmail.com>, at
08:31:19 on Sun, 23 Nov 2014, Deirdre Williams
<williams.deirdre at gmail.com> writes

>http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30166477

>"A law forcing firms to hand details to police identifying who was
>using a computer or mobile phone at a given time is to be outlined by
>Theresa May. The home secretary said the measure would improve national
>security."

As far as I can see this is simply replacing the provisions of the
European Data Retention Directive (recently declared invalid) with a
local law.

And it's not about "handing details to the police" (or indeed any other
of the many law enforcement organisations), rather it's about logging
the session details in case they are asked for later - under laws going
back 14 years.

I like the bit about dial-up modems and dynamic IP addresses, I wonder
how many people remember them? Although perhaps it's really about
carrier-grade NAT and the briefing notes have been given a rather 20th
Century spin.
--
Roland Perry