[governance] Re: NMI and the Brazilian CGI.br

JFC Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Mon Nov 24 02:59:35 EST 2014

At 02:23 23/11/2014, Louis Pouzin (well) wrote:
>Hi all,
>Remember WSIS. Brazil was the driving force in putting up the group
>of like minded countries. When final negotiation arrived, Brazil
>leadership evaporated. One could presume that they did not have the
>capacity to resist strong US arm twisting.

Louis,

I fully agree with this. The "US business predator strategy" is
certainly the right word. I feel we see an ISOC/USG disagreement with
WEF/ICANN over the speed and the kind of control, ISOC/USG (Lynn
St-Amour/Don Tapscott - http://gsnetworks.org/) seem to wish to weave
an US structured accountability network, while WEF/ICANN seem to want
to retain a status-quo.

>NetMundial was a similar scenario. The high level committee members
>never got any contact from the brazilian chair. ICANN had already taken over.
>
>This WEF/ICANN nebulous gobbledygook smacks of another railroading
>to capture some opponents to the US business predator strategy.
>Let's see what happens to Brazil.

Let not put all our eggs in the same basket. As long as we cannot
have a CS basket to be present in the Gov type basket (US/ISOC/FCC)
and the Business type basket (WEF/ICANN/Rosetta) is a good thing.

May I also remind the
https://www.publicknowledge.org/assets/uploads/documents/APPROVED-MARCO-CIVIL-MAY-2014.pdf
link to the bilingual version of the Marco Civil law?

Now, I feel - from studying some Brazilean initiatives such as the
Rio's ITS - that Brazilean technologists are more often lawyers than
free open software developpers. So they are better at getting
political positions/agreements than at technologically settling it
what is surprising due to the level reached by the Brazilean software.

This another reason for me to plea for a Libre/CS cooperation.
jfc