[governance] Moving Foreward into the 2015 Agenda

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 14:08:19 EST 2014

On Sat, Nov 22, 2014 at 10:17 PM, "Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" <
wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de> wrote:

> Der all,
>
> we had a lot of discussions about pros and cons around NMI. This has
> helped to clear the air. Now we know better the arguments of the different
> groups. Transparency is always good. But we should not forget that the
> challenges for 2015 are much broader than NMI. We should come back to a
> more forward looking and constructive approach and concrete plans for the
> 2015 Internet Governance Agenda, which is fully packed.
>
> [Sala T: In absolute agreement]
>

> I repeat my proposal to start a discussion what the priorities and most
> urgent projects should be for Civil Society organisations for the global
> Internet Governance discussion in the post NetMundial Phase. We have
> numerous (old and new) channels where we can raise our voices, either
> individually or collectivly (if possible). Here is my list of venues where
> we have to do something in 2015. Probably there are some more. Please add
> if I have forgotten something:
>
> [Sala T: My comments are below]
> 1. IGF MAG Meeting in early December in Geneva and preparations for the
> 10th IGF in Brazil (November 2015);
>
> [Sala T: I suggest we initiate pointers for our MAG members to raise asap
and make a call for comments on the etherpad or mailing list and initiate a
thread or continue input into Bill Drake and other's call for input. As a
community, we should make a more consolidated stand and submit a proper
statement or 3 page submissions on key topics. This can include and involve
wider community input and be submitted by our MAG representatives. Priority
should be given to this given the short time we have.
]

> 2. Conclusions from the Interesessional UNCSTD Meeting (November 2014) and
> preparation for the regular May 2015 Meeting of UNCSTD in Geneva (What we
> will do with the ongoing mapping process started by the "Correspondence
> Group"?)

[Sala T: I suggest we get our members in the UNCSTD meeting who had
initiated the mapping process to provide us with a briefing paper of some
sort and call for input and comments. Something to be noted is that a major
point of contention will be who gets to do the Review which will determine
whether the UNCSTD continues to do so or alternatively another Agency. This
remains to be seen but is also equally critical as it outomes can be
influenced by "who is doing the review". This is why the UN GA Second
Committee meeting was very interesting in terms of measuring where
countries stand.]

> 3. We Need a strategy how to start our involvement into the WSIS 10+
> process. Should we accept to be excluded from the final discussions and
> negotiations, scheduled for December 2015 in New York?
>
>  [Sala T:We should start ASAP. The Advocacy must be at least complete
before February and we should have a concerted strategy for rollout both
domestic, regional and global.]

> 4. Do we have a position with regard to the Brazilian-German initiative in
> the UN General Assembly in the right of privacy? Should we publish a
> Statement to Support the Establishment of a Special Rapporteur for Privacy
> under the HRC?
>
>  [Sala T: Yes we should start crafting a Statement ASAP and call for
consensus before submitting]

> 5. Do we have anything to say if the 2nd Committee of the UNGA adopts ist
> new Resolution on ICT on Development? If the renewal of the IGF Mandate is
> not made in December 2014, should we prepare a Statement with our proposals?
>
> [Sala T: Yes we should start crafting a Statement ASAP for both scenarios
renewal and non renewal and only use the relevant one when needed and call
for consensus before submitting]

> 6. Do we have a position with regard to the Cybersecurity issues discussed
> by the Group of Governmental Experts under the 1st Committeee of the UN
> General Assembly? Should we make a statement on Confidence Building
> Measures (CBMs) for the Cyberspace?
> [Sala T: Yes, we should. This should be pushed regionally and also within
> the Global space. Personally, I feel that UN involvement in Cyber security
> is mainly to do with high level frameworks that really have no teeth and
> the real power lies within the 193 countries who have national cyber
> security strategies and how they commit to each other in terms of alliance.
> What we should certainly push are the Human Rights and Responsibilities and
> primarily that those handling national security matters should not corrode
> basic civil liberties arbitrarily and preserving human dignity in all that.

7. What we will do with the invitation by the ITU to have open
> consultations before the closed meetings of the ITU Council Working Group
> on Internet Governance, as it was decided in Busan?
>
> [Sala T:  We accept the invitation and submit our input intelligently.]

> 8. Do we have anything to say with regard to the work of the Global
> Commission on Internet Governance (Bildt Commission)? They prepare a report
> for January 2016? Any input from our side?
>
> [Sala T:  Never heard of it, grateful if you could share, been behind in
catching up on this]

> 9. Do we have something to say to the plans of the BRICS countries to
> prepare a cybersecurity convention? The next BRICS Summitt Meeting is
> planned for July 2015 in Ufa/Russia. Are we here silent?

[Sala T:  We can certainly provide input into the processes through our
people and organisations in those countries as they make submissions but
also we can make one collectively as a Group.]

> 10. How to make use of the Net Mundial follow up? Should we use the NMI to
> launch projects which CS sees as important (training, education, human
> rights assessment procedures for national and international Internet
> related public policy making, access to broadband, net neutrality, privacy
> in the Internet of Things etc.).
>
>  [Sala T: Yes, we should but before we do that we should map what
collectively our civil society organisation members are doing and
positioned globally and prepare a strategy that is global and yet regional.
I think the Summer Schools are a good place to start but we can take it up
a notch.

> 11. Should we contribute more activly to the open processes under ICANN
> (IANA stewardship tranisiton and ICANN accountrability)
>
>  [Sala T: I think we need to better manage our resources and leverage our
energy into options where we can see feedback. Sometimes, i think that this
exercise with the IANA tranision whilst still important is like us being a
cat chasing its own tail whilst somebody else holds the flashlight/torch.

> 12. Should we have a look into the work of the IETF after their Honolulu
> meeting and the discussion on human rights?
>
> [Sala T:  Absolutely]

> 13. Do we have any ideas how to move forward with national
> multistakeholder Internet Governance IGFs/platforms?
>
> [Sala T:  One of the things we can do better is to release a Statement at
every National IGF. Start with soft impact. Where we have footprint, we can
provide a standardised powerpoint presentation that can be presented by
some of our local members on the ground]