[governance] URGENT: Last call for feedback on CS participation in NETmundial Initiative

David Cake dave at difference.com.au
Fri Nov 21 12:57:09 EST 2014

On 22 Nov 2014, at 1:22 am, michael gurstein <gurstein at gmail.com> wrote:

> As anyone with any familiarity with Civil Society will know, the term Neo-liberal is a very common term of art in Civil Society analyses particularly outside of the 5 Eyes consortia countries.

	Yes, and as anyone with any familiarity with International Relations theory will know, the term neo-liberal is a very common term of art in the entire field, meaning something somewhat different (though not 100% unrelated). But I do rather suspect that familiarity with IR theory is not common among JNC members, as I've not yet seen JNC analysis that seems particularly informed by it.

> The current discussions concerning neo-liberalism in public policy areas generally link directly back to “the Washington Consensus”

	Yes, yes, just because the way you use the term annoys me doesn't mean I don't understand what you mean by it.

> For a more direct linkage of these discussions concerning neo-liberalism to IG see http://alainet.org/active/73028

	I'm tiresomely familiar with the argument, thank you, but I still don't agree with it.

	Do you have anything on that argument that has made it into a peer reviewed journal, BTW? It would be useful to have something to cite.

	Cheers

		David