[governance] URGENT: Last call for feedback on CS participation in NETmundial Initiative

Jean-Christophe Nothias jeanchristophe.nothias at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 12:35:25 EST 2014

It is interesting to reflect on that "something" indeed

For now, as stated in the NMI website each member of the Coordination Council including civil society participant - "who wishes to learn more about the enemy or influence things from within" -  will still have to go along these lines. I would say that I have way too much questions about each of these "DUTIES", so I would just remind that getting aboard that vessel means the following. If you understand everything that it means, let us know if this sounds like  "cool" to be a member of that Coordination Council.

I think the civil society participants will deserve some "return" or "payback" for all that good job (at least a blue ribbon).

The responsibilities of the Coordination Council members are to:

Facilitate global support for distributed Internet governance (????? I am not sure how many question marks this one deserves);
Secure supporters for the NETmundial Principles developed in São Paulo; (in case these supporters are in danger due to interference by non compliant civil society activists and troublemakers : or, provide some $ to the good pupils?. Not sure here)
Raise global awareness of the NETmundial Initiative; (That certainly means that each member of the CC is also part of the NMI communication team, or something close to that, on an equal footing of course with other members of the team. Members will first pass a test to see if they make a difference between the NM principles and the NM initiative - be ready on this one)
Establish a framework for global engagement in the Initiative; (What is this? The rules of engagement for future members of NMI? Setting strategies to convince other to join?)
Attract new ideas for Internet governance enablers and solutions; (Sounds cool isn't it!)
Attract funding for Internet governance enablers and solutions; (Any relevant experience in fund raising welcome, ICANN, the WEF and CGIbr are missing some cash on this initiative it seems)
Coordinate NETmundial activities to maximize the efficient use of resources and avoid duplication of efforts in the polycentric ecosystem; (Always feels good to be a coordinator, right?)
Establish liaisons with other Internet governance fora. (Remember that you have to contribute to the decentralized, open, interoperable tasks of the NMI communication team)
Clarification welcome, as that list of duties has put my poor head upside down.

All the best to the future happy CS nominees, they merit our respect.

JC