[governance] URGENT: Last call for feedback on CS participation in NETmundial Initiative

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Fri Nov 21 06:27:28 EST 2014

Shaila Rao Mistry <shailam at yahoo.com> wrote:

> If we wish to have our voice heard we need to be at the table. If we
> are not there how can we voice opinions ,influence and shape policy
> decisions. Regardless of the numerous pros and cons to joining NM,
> the prevailing factor is to be a participating presence.

When a new discourse venue is needed, shouldn't the process of creating
a new discourse venue start with a public discussion process on how the
new discourse venue should be structured and what its underlying
assumptions and constraints should be?

If civil society rushes to provide its participating presence, and
hence its legitimizing presence, to just any process, we thereby
destroy a key factor that could lead to the creation of a better kind
of discourse venue where civil society would have not only the
opportunity to be not only a “participating presence” but co-leaders
in discourse processes!

Greetings,
Norbert