[governance] People with disabilities

Jac sm Kee jac at apcwomen.org
Tue Nov 18 11:12:02 EST 2014

Hello everyone,

Coming in a little late into the discussion. But this reminds me of
the brilliant discussion that we had at the 2013 IGF, where Jeannette
spoke of "unblackboxing" multistakeholderism at the GISWatch women's
rights edition launch. Recognising that within each stakeholder groups
that there are also differences in terms of experiences, needs,
priorities and concerns because of inequality and/or discrimination on
the basis of social identities or standing. So things like locale,
gender, sexualities, disabilities, age, economic power etc, would play
a part. The question is how to hold this effectively within a
structure of representation that is necessarily limited without
fragmenting into endless splits. So not on the basis of 'identity' per
se (which can end up fixing you, and also identity is multiple and
fluid most times - like youth), but maybe on the basis of work or
issues that can be forwarded. And I also agree with Arsene's excellent
point that this should be something that is also considered not just
by CS, but govt, private sector, technical community etc.

Saying that, I am very happy to support an explicit inclusion of
disability as a criteria for consideration!

Best,
jac